Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noobie from Oregon

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by LaserImage, Jul 22, 2007.

1. LaserImage

LaserImage Member

Jul 21, 2007
    My name is Gary and I am in Eugene, Oregon - the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I have been laser engraving, dye sublimating and sand carving for a while now and came across a great deal on an Ioline I/O 60, 44 roll rack, 20 partial rolls of vinyl, 3 rolls of various size transfer tape, squeegies, etc., etc., etc., so I couldn't pass it up. I really wanted to get a plotter for cutting sandblast mask but couldn't justify spending a couple thousand for it. This deal thought made it worthwhile. The cost difference in laserable mask and even just plain-old vinyl is going to save me a lot!

Anyway, I know almost nothing about vinyl and signmaking, bannermaking, etc. Pretty good chance I'll be asking some pretty lame questions over the next several weeks/months/years...

Is there a good training dvd or website that has the basics that a noob like me would need to know? I know Corel X3 pretty well although I have seen the differences in a plt file and what my laser can use already - big difference in drawing technique!

Thanks for any help you can provide and I apologize in advance for the potential questions I'll be asking. :thankyou:

Gary

Tags:
  2. Creative_Lance

Creative_Lance Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2006
    USA
    Welcome Gary!

3. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
    Welcome from NJ, ask away...

4. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Welcome Aboard!

5. Matt Cuellar

Matt Cuellar Active Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Welcome, from Seattle!

6. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Welcome from PA

7. D&Tgraphics

D&Tgraphics Very Active Member

May 17, 2007
    Lockport, NY
    Welcome from NY.
    The Ioline cutter you have was the same as my first one. It's a workhorse and will do a great job for you. I recommend for the sandblast mask to use a 60 degree blade. It will work much better than the standard 45. And also, turn your speed down.

8. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Welcome (LaserImage) Gary from the the great Snoqualmie Valley!

9. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee from VA.......................

10. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Welcome Aboard!

11. Signguyno1

Signguyno1 Active Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Welcome from the East Coast

12. jdb

jdb Active Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Welcome from about 1/2 hour away from you! PM me if you'd like to meet sometime or I can help in any way.

13. flat rock stan

flat rock stan Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Welcome from Portland! Come by when you are up this way.

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA...............

15. LaserImage

LaserImage Member

Jul 21, 2007
    I was just in Portland today, Clackamas actually... Had I known I would have called!

Gary

16. LaserImage

LaserImage Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Thanks for the welcome, everybody! I can tell this is a great place just by the replies to a newbie post. I have a few other forums I frequent - laser engraving, dye sub and sand carving - seems that they all share the same thing, a real desire to help and not worry about giving away "secrets" - not too much anyway...

Thanks to everyone!

Gary

17. LaserImage

LaserImage Member

Jul 21, 2007
    This came with 2 extra 45's and 3 60's so I should be pretty set for a while. I don't have any mask to test with besides the laser mask - would that work?

Gary