• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Noobie from Oregon

LaserImage

My name is Gary and I am in Eugene, Oregon - the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I have been laser engraving, dye sublimating and sand carving for a while now and came across a great deal on an Ioline I/O 60, 44 roll rack, 20 partial rolls of vinyl, 3 rolls of various size transfer tape, squeegies, etc., etc., etc., so I couldn't pass it up. I really wanted to get a plotter for cutting sandblast mask but couldn't justify spending a couple thousand for it. This deal thought made it worthwhile. The cost difference in laserable mask and even just plain-old vinyl is going to save me a lot!

Anyway, I know almost nothing about vinyl and signmaking, bannermaking, etc. Pretty good chance I'll be asking some pretty lame questions over the next several weeks/months/years...

Is there a good training dvd or website that has the basics that a noob like me would need to know? I know Corel X3 pretty well although I have seen the differences in a plt file and what my laser can use already - big difference in drawing technique!

Thanks for any help you can provide and I apologize in advance for the potential questions I'll be asking. :thankyou:

Gary

D&Tgraphics

Welcome from NY.
The Ioline cutter you have was the same as my first one. It's a workhorse and will do a great job for you. I recommend for the sandblast mask to use a 60 degree blade. It will work much better than the standard 45. And also, turn your speed down.

jdb

Welcome from about 1/2 hour away from you! PM me if you'd like to meet sometime or I can help in any way.

LaserImage

Thanks for the welcome, everybody! I can tell this is a great place just by the replies to a newbie post. I have a few other forums I frequent - laser engraving, dye sub and sand carving - seems that they all share the same thing, a real desire to help and not worry about giving away "secrets" - not too much anyway...

Thanks to everyone!

Gary

LaserImage

Welcome from NY.
The Ioline cutter you have was the same as my first one. It's a workhorse and will do a great job for you. I recommend for the sandblast mask to use a 60 degree blade. It will work much better than the standard 45. And also, turn your speed down.

This came with 2 extra 45's and 3 60's so I should be pretty set for a while. I don't have any mask to test with besides the laser mask - would that work?

Gary