• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Norweigan Airbrush Car Art

SignManiac

Rattle cans have been called that since the early letterhead days. Butch Anton I think is the one who coined that phrase back when he was doing special effect vinyl lettering using Krylon spray paints.

btropical.com

frog butch anton , " plain boat lettering , shadow boat lettering , and the exotic norwegian airbrush boat lettering. 3 different prices same basic shizzle"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's what I thought.

Actually you kinda have it backwards.

When air brushing or even using rattle cans, but using a template, you're still airbrushing using orthodox practices and methods.

Butch's Norwegian technique was simply laying down screen ink or paint of maybe two or three colors close by each other and using a roller [foam or nappy] and taking long straight strokes creating a blend to replicate someone doing airbrushing. Many of us from the old days used this technique on backgrounds of various substrates and thought nothing of it. He, on the other hand applied it to enamel receptive vinyl and when cutting the vinyl out on your plotter he came up with the name 'Norwegian' because of his background.

I guess you could use it with rattle cans, but you can find many articles of his using globs of paint first.