• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NOS side stripes

Ozzy

Hi all.
I have new old stock Australian Ford 1971 xy GT side stripes. The backing paper says '3M Scotchcal'. Would the same colours be made as back then and is it worth using 3M over Avery etc?

Also I have the Ford 1969 xw GT / Silver Fox reflective side stripes. These are different though and didnt come in ford boxes. It still has the 3M app tape but the films backing paper says, 'Seibulite reflective sheeting' Seibu polymer chemical company, Mitsubishi corporation.

Could these possibly still be NOS Ford items?

Cheers.
Ozzy.

SignosaurusRex

Is the backing paper on the 71 GT set a light Tan color? If so, they are most likely Ford original stock and yes, you should be able to get the same color today.
I remember using Seibulite reflective sheeting in the early 70's. They both are most likely original Ford stock.

Ozzy

Is the backing paper on the 71 GT set a light Tan color? If so, they are most likely Ford original stock and yes, you should be able to get the same color today.
I remember using Seibulite reflective sheeting in the early 70's. They both are most likely original Ford stock.

Yes backing paper is tan. These are in genuine Ford boxes. Gold metallic.
What code of film could these be?

The seibulite ones are the big question as I purchased them without boxes.

Ozzy

I think Spandex carry the XY in their Autocal striping range, not sure about the XW.

G'day mate.
Yeah Spandex do have them both but thats too easy. From all the XY GT's I've seen now, the stripes they have are incorrect to my NOS ones.

I would probably be the only person in Aust with NOS stripes. I reckon that would be a good selling tool.

SignosaurusRex

Yes backing paper is tan. These are in genuine Ford boxes. Gold metallic.
What code of film could these be?

The seibulite ones are the big question as I purchased them without boxes.

Definitely old stock if the backing is tan and has a rough/blurred 3M Scotchcal fim imprint. I'll post a pic tomorrow of what it should match. I believe that back then there were no individual series #'s but it should match the current #131 in the 7125 and 7725 series as well as the Gerber 220 Metallic gold.
The Seibulite should also be approx. same era (early to mid 70's) would be my guess. I no longer have any product or sample to compare. The film itself on both, especially the latter mentioned will be very brittle and tear easily due to age and elasticity loss. They can still be used if applied carefully and post install heated. The adhesive will come back to life if it still has reasonable tack in it's current state.

Ozzy

Definitely old stock if the backing is tan and has a rough/blurred 3M Scotchcal fim imprint. I'll post a pic tomorrow of what it should match. I believe that back then there were no individual series #'s but it should match the current #131 in the 7125 and 7725 series as well as the Gerber 220 Metallic gold.
The Seibulite should also be approx. same era (early to mid 70's) would be my guess. I no longer have any product or sample to compare. The film itself on both, especially the latter mentioned will be very brittle and tear easily due to age and elasticity loss. They can still be used if applied carefully and post install heated. The adhesive will come back to life if it still has reasonable tack in it's current state.

06111.jpg

06211.jpg

0611.jpg

First pic is of the 71 GT
Second is the Seibulite
Third is of 65 - 66 Shellby GT 350 kit I also have

Wiggum PI

G'day mate.
Yeah Spandex do have them both but thats too easy. From all the XY GT's I've seen now, the stripes they have are incorrect to my NOS ones.

I would probably be the only person in Aust with NOS stripes. I reckon that would be a good selling tool.

Nice one!

I know a guy here who started Scotchline in QLD, he has a museum(or shop) full of this stuff. I'll hit him up next week to see if he has any info on the Seibulite stuff.

Chris.