• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

not doing it for nothing

got a call the other day from a person who has moved into the area and wants his logo (20" x 20" 2 colour, contour cut) art supplied to his transport truck with all the lettering that goes along with it,( no pinstripes etc. ) after a total of maybe 45 mins in emails and calls I gave him the quote ( he doesn't want to travel the 45 min back to his last sign guy) of $184.00 plus tax ( since I didn't have do a layout or set up) His reply is I am double the price of his other sign guy. So was I that out of whack? It was only 1 colour text :banghead:

fresh

Maybe the other guy's quote was for just one door?

For a simple door lettering, we might be a little less, but it sounds like you are right where you should be.

MagnificentBastid

Honestly, your price does sound high to me.

Unless I'm missing something, this is around 6 sqft of vinyl and laminate (if digitally printed). Then factor in a countour cut/masking and install fee, and it seems like your price is kinda high.

EDIT:

Im just wondering about the extremely vague description of "and all of the lettering that goes along with it"

Ah I missed that little tid bit.

the other stuff

we do a lot of transport trucks and some have only O/O ( owner operator) beyond the logo and some have CVOR, US DOT numbers etc. and this one had a vin number. O/O numbe and the KYU, Us DOT CVOR and a small line of text on either side.I charge more if I have to search fonts but every thing he sent came in fine

Zx360

Little higher then what I'd charge but not by much. Just sell the quality of your work and the cost of fuel... Still cheaper to come to you.

GRGraphics

If you have two (2) 20in X 20in logos plus city, state, DOT #s, Truck or unit # ect. We would charge $165 -$185. No previous logo to remove right?

fozzie

That's about where would be.
Ask to see the other quote. Chances are he's doing the old match game scam...tell em I can get it done less somewhere else but if you match price.....
You know what you need to get, that's what you charge.

CentralSigns

Your price sounds reasonable, you always run into cheap truckers. I got one here the same kind of job but 2 layers and he thinks he can get it done for under $100 in the city. One layer the vinyl sells for $20 a ft even. But you know if you drop the price for him he will have 20 buddies all ready to whittle you down more and more and more. Ge-sh gotta make something don't wanna work for free, probably a logger making 3 or 4 hundred thousand a year. I got one here like him, that thinks its cheaper to drive 2 1/2 hours either way to the city is cheaper than a fair price, cause that's what he paid in 1997.

BobM

$'

Buyers are liars. $300 with DOT and GVW numbers. What will it cost him to send his truck to the other guy, or have The other guy come to him. Figure and hour to setup, cut, weed and apply transfer tape and another hour to clean the truck and apply, $170 labor. 4' of 24" vinyl for color one and 4' of 24"vinyl for second color, 8' X $12.67 per foot = $101.36. Total $271.36 plus tax. That's no design or art work, simple and quick. I'm sure there are shops out there that would do it for $90 or $100. Not worth your while IMHO. I get a minimum of 2 hours on any truck lettering. Never had one take less. You already have 3/4 hour in just talking to the guy. That is time you spent that you can't recover at $100 for the job.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
your price is fine, tell him to hit the road....you don't need every job, only the ones that are worth it...

Mosh

not doing it for nothing

SO if you are NOT doing it for NOTHING. You are NOT getting NOTHING so what are you getting?
Not, Nothing double negative....come on people!!!!

supersignmart

price

Just remember there is a reason he came to you and not back to the other. Never let another shop dictate your
prices.

Jillbeans

I haven't done a set of truck doors for less than $200 since about 2000.
Regardless of if they provide the art.
It's still your time to deal with them, order in the vinyl (sometimes a color that you can never use again) cut it weed it mask it, apply it.
Cost of machinery, electricity transfer tape etc etc.
Let them go to the hacks if they want it cheap or they can pay me (a very reasonable fee if you consider other advertising alternatives) to do it right.
Love....Jill

JgS

If it was or a temporary job I could see being half price for no laminate, calendared vinyl, and the customer would need to install it.

Locals Find!

Your a bit low. I don't get out of my chair for less than $200 anymore, if you want me to walk outside $300 minimum. Actually do work when outside $350 minimum.

I guarantee you he won't start that truck for less than $300. So why should you lower your price less than his minimum.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't do it for any less than that if I were you, unless I was struggling to put food on the table. The next guy that comes in will probably be glad to pay that.