• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not exactly about installations, but rather......................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering about conditions. :thankyou:

As I mentioned before, our company bought a bucket truck almost two years ago and it's great having it. It's been so good to us and has helped on so many things we used to either sub out or do differently.
Anyway, what I was wondering over the last week or so was a simple question in my mind, but others have argued to an extent of my thoughts.

Background: The electric company, cable companies and other utility or care type companies must be out in all kinds of weather to fix broken wires, downed poles and all kinds of problematic areas to keep their customers happy. I feel that's part of their job. It ends with them having to be out there in any weather regardless of the problem big or small. Usually these problems take place in all kindsa bad weather and around here, that can be ice storms, snow storms, practically hurricane conditions and even if it's a day or two later, it's still pretty bad out there.

I don't feel, we as sign people, need to endanger our lives to put up a sign. Repairing one usually can wait til the storm or problem areas have ceased..... completely. Putting up a new sign, regardless of electric or non-electric should not HAVE to go up, if conditions are bad. If I don't want to send my guys or myself out in 2º with a windchill of -15º, I shouldn't have to. If I feel it unsafe, am I being a weenie or just over-protective of my guys ?? I'm not even sure if our insurance would cover us if we're up there in unsafe conditions. They tell me we're covered, but I'd sooner think if we're out and it starts snowing or sleeting, we're covered to finish and then quickly come down, but to go out while its sleeting or just after it, just sounds like we're asking for potential problems.

My motto is no one is expected to do any heroics whether driving to work in a storm or going up in bad conditions.

So, what say you who also own and operate equipment in the air during storms or in bad weather conditions ?? :thumb:

thanks............... Gino

J Hill Designs

I am under the impression that PGE etc get hazard pay (big bucks) for those conditions. If I personally feel unsafe in the conditions, I wont let the crew go out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I am under the impression that PGE etc get hazard pay (big bucks) for those conditions. If I personally feel unsafe in the conditions, I wont let the crew go out.

That was kinda my point, too. It's in their job description. Also, I'm sure their insurance is quite a bit heftier than mine.

Mosh

It is -9 here today, -20 windchill, our cable guy is out on the pole right now fixing the internet....As far as installing signs, no way you are getting me up there in this cold.

100% agree. It's crazy to put yourself and others at risk in high winds or other dangerous weather conditions. Looking back, I cringe at some of the stupid and wreckless installation decisions my brother and I made when we were young, dumb and needed money. We can laugh about it now that common sense and wisdom have taken over.

Marlene

My motto is no one is expected to do any heroics whether driving to work in a storm or going up in bad conditions.

same thing here. we don't go out in a thunder storm, high winds or below zero temps. just not worth it.

Moze

Cold, I don't mind. I can layer up and throw the heated jacket on, etc. and be good to go. But extremely cold temps are rare here anyway. I worked on a Wells Fargo conversion some years back and was managing installations up in Wyoming. It was similar to the weather Mosh is talking about and the installers were working on high-rises all day, every day. They were some tough dudes and I hope they got paid triple time.

I installed stud-mounted dimensional signs in the rain the other day because there were extenuating circumstances and it was for one of my best customers. But that's definitely not the norm.

If we're talking just flat-out dangerous conditions - I'll wait. I've cancelled jobs due to wind, rain and ice. If the customer can't understand that, it's not a customer I want to deal with.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This has nothing to do with the bucket, but we had a lady calling about two weeks or so ago about our not coming out to do her front window. I had already told her, like I do everyone this time of year, if it's too cold, we won't be over. It was about 11º and I wasn't about to freeze anyone's hands doing this for the lady. We can't use gloves because of dexterity, so fuggem if they can't wait. She then said she was gonna call her lawyer. I told her, not to bother cause he'll laugh at you when you tell him the conditions.... especailly when I already told you our conditions on this subject. We did it about a week late, but she was still mad because I wouldn't give in. She said she was gonna deduct money for my being late. Heh....... She ordered some more signs Friday. These don't need our installation. I didn't get a deposit, cause I wanted to see if she'd pull anything. I'll remind her of the amount when I call her that they're finished and tell her not to forget the check. If she pulls anything, I just won't give her the signs. I'd rather sit on $25 worth of material just to be a sh!t......then give her the $325 job. :noway:

Mosh

Couple years ago a hair salon needed a phone number added to their sign, there was room on the sign for it without removing anything, and since I had made the sign I told them I'd only charge $25 to add the number WHEN IT WAS WARM ENOUGH!!!!

Couple weeks later they called up and were mad at me cause it had not warmed up and cancelled the job. A shop from out of town came to town, took the sign down, took it 50 mile back to their shop, added the copy and re-installed the sign the next day.

These girls called me up mad cause I told them this was only going to be $25 and ended up over $200....

Kottwitz-Graphics

I don't feel, we as sign people, need to endanger our lives to put up a sign. Repairing one usually can wait til the storm or problem areas have ceased..... completely.

I wish I had bosses that thought like that. Years ago (like 16 -18 years ago) when I first started at a sign/billboard company in Mississippi, they would send us out before the incoming hurricanes to take down billboard panels. We would be the only ones on the road going into the city, and everyone else was trying to get out...:banghead:... Needless to say, I only did it once and then I wised up and refused the next time that they told us to go in.:noway:

jen.reelez

You indeed care for lives first than business, amazing!

i Like what you said that lives must not be risk for putting up a sign.
The weather now gives so much burden for outdoor works, but this shall pass :thumb:

Zx360

For on site installs I always tell customer an expected install date and say (weather permitting) I had a guy mad at us because I wouldn't install a banner on a 2 2 story building when we had an ice storm the night before. I told my boss respectfully no, I would not do it. The customer was mad, we ended up installing the banner, but my boss did it while I held the ladder.
No sign is worth my life, I love what I do, but I will not sacrifice the quality of my work due to poor conditions or put my life in risk for someone's sign. 99% agree that the sign can wait... That 1%... Well if the boss wants it done, I let him do it but I'm not.