Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Not quite sure of the answer..............

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Gino, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Got a call from a customer about a tanker we lettered 5 years ago. It's a solid aluminum body and used for recycling plastic. We lettered using all 3M top die-cutting vinyl and now they want it removed. Sure, no problem. Then he says, we took a few little pieces off and it really really shows. I told him that's shadowing and can't be helped. He asked if an acid wash would work ?? I said I really don't know, but I'll find out.

So, any ideas ??

:thankyou: Gino ​

Tags:
  2. binki

binki Premium Subscriber

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    Wouldn't acid etch it?

3. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    I think acid wash would help - not sure it would remove all of the shadows - depends on how much the exposed shell has weathered.
    Around here the tankers are parked down at the port/fuel yards - they are within spitting distance of the ocean. Lots of corrosion. The maintenance guys use the wash to brighten up the exposed aluminum all the time, and we ask them to use it before wrapping/re-wrapping the tubes.

4. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    If there are clear anodized you can try products like everbrite to polish the tanker to a consistent finish.

5. Sindex Printing

Sindex Printing Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Sparks
    When I worked for a concrete company the transfer trailers were all aluminum that had to be polished and sealed to get rid of the shadowing. I would recommend the customer goes to a big rig polisher/detailer. They have everything to make it look like they were never there

6. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    The acid makes it look clean but not shiny, almost white. Truck washes use it on wheels of the truckers that are too lazy to keep them polished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Thanks, all.