• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not sure what would cause this...

Artist369

I have a JV3-160SP. Started printing a job and this happened, IMG_20170117_111442549.jpg . I'm not sure what would cause this. Was hoping someone here would know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Artist369

The color. It started printing the correct color, the darker purple at the bottom of the photo. Then just in the middle of the image its like it started printing only half of the color. It went from printing each pass at an 1/8", to printing each pass at a 1/4".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like your cable must've been interrupted and the printer is receiving bogus information. Try it again.

Artist369

I stopped it, shut it down, started everything back up and it works fine now. Years ago we used to have a problem with the printer in that at around 8 1/2 feet of printing the printer would start to do that. So as soon as i saw this i started to worry that it might start to do it again. Figured i would seek help on here to see if anyone had the same or a similar issue just in case it started again.

AKwrapguy

What rip are you using? How are you connected to the printer? USB or 15 pin? How often are you cleaning the print heads/capping station? One thing that I used to do about once a year when running my mimaki is completely unplug the computer from the printer while it was off and than restart the printer, run print head test for everything, than put it back in sleep mode and kill the master power switch. Plug the computer back in and turn everything back on. It seemed like this wold help re-establish the connection between everything.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Looks like ink dropout to me. Usually the culprit is the dampers but it could also be a few other things. If you haven't changed the cap tops and dampers in over a year, it's time to do it now. While you're in there, test the pumps to make sure they aren't clogged/constricted.

Artist369

I'm using Onyx 10 for my RIP. The printer is connected through a Firewire connection. Print heads and capping station get cleaned every Friday. Two sets of dampers have been replaced in the past year along with the print head they belong with. The other two were replaced a couple of years ago. The whole capping station and all pumps have been replaced within the past two years.

97GTB

It's not an ink issue, either the print data being sent corrupted (PC/Software issue, cable got bumped or electro/magnetic interference, the firewire cable needs replacing or it's an issue with the firewire pcb, the adapter pcb or the main pcb, have had all the above cause this issue. If it does it again start with the cable and work from there.

cpsgumpert

I've seen odd things like this if I'm printing and ripping large files on the same machine at the same time. I've also seen profiles become corrupted and cause problems that are hard to diagnose.

chitown928

Just went through this...it would print 8 pass then 4 pass then 2 pass back to 8 pass. If you look closely thats what the print pattern is in your pic. Its your encoder strip, it needs cleaning or replacing. Try cleaning it...you can use warm warmer and the cleaner swabs make sure it air dries before you try a test print. You can also try regular alchohol if that doesn't work. Make sure there's no hazing on the strip after you clean it. If neither work time for a new encoder strip.