• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

not the way i want my mornings to go at work.

gabagoo

Came in today and was upstairs sending a proof out and my sister yells from downstairs that I need to get down there immediately.

She sounds extremly panicked and I know it has something to do with Max the Corgi.

I get down there and Max is in a convulsive state and she is holding him and I can't really tell whats going on and then I see that he has a fishing lure hanging out of his mouth. Panic sets in and I quickly grab him and try to hold him still to try and remove the hooks. he is naturally fighting me as he can't swallow properly and I keep working away but feel as though this might be it for him as I cant figure out how to deal with it.

It's amazing how I get in these situations and I settle down, and instruct my sister to go in the back and get me a pair of needle nose plyers. I try manipulating the cutting part of the tool to remove the rest of the lure that has many more small hooks all over the place which keep stabbing me as I try holding the dogs head still. My hands are shaking and full of dog saliva which makes things incredibly slippery. I finally cut off the hook from the rest of the lure so i can deal with the dog and not continually get stabbed.

I can see the hook is right through his tongue and latched onto his side lip. I yell out "Where the %^$% did this lure efin come from!!!!"

Apparently it came from the designers office, who was not in yet, and he needed to take a photo of it for a web catalogue.

I instruct my sister to call my wife and get the vets number as I can see there is no way i can remove this and I am worried that the dog seems not to be able to swallow properly and could choke.

My vet is not in so we find a vet close to the office and off we go. Get there and that vet is 15 minutes away so we sit and wait and try to stop the dog from trying to manipulate his tongue with his front paws.

Doctor arrives, takes a look and determines the only way we can remove the hook is by putting the dog to sleep, but first he says he needs a pair of wire cutters to break off the barb so he has to run out to a store to buy them, which I thought was strange, but why would a vet have wire cutters I suppose.
15 minutes later he comes back with a set of 4 he bought at an auto store and now somehow the dog has managed to get the hook out of his tongue and it is just hooked through his side lip. We get him up on the table and now we dont need any sleep drugs and the doctor just snips the barb end and pulls the hook out from the other side. I am totally relieved as i did not think at the time I first saw this that he could survive.

He then gives me some antibiodics for the dog for a few days and then I get the bill....
I was figuring this visit before I got there could cost me well over a $1000.00, and I would pay anything to save my dog, but this guy's charge with buying the tools and the meds... you ready? $86.00

I definately going out after work to get him and his lovely assistant a gift.

Max is walking around like nothing happened and is happy as can be.

What a morning!!!

J

john1

Wow, great ending to a horrible accident! Glad hes alright

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Glad to hear everything is OK and Max is fine. I know what its like with dogs....I have 3!

oh my gosh!! thank goodness he is okay. And that vet had to be amazing to just charge you $86. Hopefully max learned to not play with shiney and sharp objects haha.

gabagoo

The lure was in the plastic case they come in from the store.... the dog must have smelled the scent and broke the package open. Just a chance occurance.
I have plenty of Olfa and exacto knives hanging around. I hope he doesn't decide to play with those one day!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, like thinksigns, I was on the edge of my seat reading that one.

Glad to hear everything turned out alright. And to think I get upset when the cats eat Christmas decorations and then poop 'em out and we have these wonderful discolored new decorations around the house.

shakey0818

Glad everything worked out for you.I would make him a sign or something he def saved you a ton of money.You just dont get service or prices from vets like that anywhere.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Good to hear it all worked out. It has been 3 weeks since we put down our dog Jake and it still hurts. I miss him every day

signswi

Blech, my dog as a kid laid down on a lure more than once. Fishermen would hook our trees and just cut the line, dropping the lure into our backyard. When people ask why I don't fish when I grew up on a lake that's one of the reasons I give them. Luckily he never tried to eat one, that sounds horrible. Glad it came out well!

gabagoo

Yeah, like thinksigns, I was on the edge of my seat reading that one.

Glad to hear everything turned out alright. And to think I get upset when the cats eat Christmas decorations and then poop 'em out and we have these wonderful discolored new decorations around the house.

My cat, when he was a young kitty decided to bite the head off one my sons rubbery skeletons you get in a 25 cent gumball machine. A day later and not known to us he starts vomitting this yellow bile all over the place...... Took him to the vet and the head had got stuck in his intestine and was blocking it.

$600.00 later I had a souvenir rubber skeleton head in a glass jar on the fireplace..... Fast forward a year later and the damn cat bit the head off a rubbery lizard and another $600.00 later and another souvenir on the mantle piece..... That cheap $10 cat cost me a fortune. he is still with us and is 17 years old and over the years we have had to keep certain types of materials away from him. Tinsle is a big no no too

Deaton Design

wow man, what a great story! I love dogs, and always wanted a Corgi. Im glad it all worked out and he is alright. Thats a great vet too.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Oh man. I could see our Corgi getting into the same trouble, and acting like nothing happened after the whole ordeal was done.

It's pretty amazing how our pet's can just go on with their day after something like that. Few people could carry on like that.

As Gino said, I was on the edge of my seat!

phototec

All is well that ends well, glad to hear everything is ok!

Not the same vet that treated the cat, this vet might need some FREE signage?

:thumb:

Jillbeans

This was so disturbing to read!
I am so glad it all worked out in the end.
Poor dog! And so scary for you.
Love....Jill