Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not too bad for a 48 hour rush job

Discussion in 'Portfolio Board' started by iSign, Jan 17, 2011.

1. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    well, as the title says I was able to design this & have it ready for install in record time. The client is on the resort property where Maui's largest & most high profile golf tournament is held. They were late getting approval & finally ordered the sign Wednesday, in hopes of getting it installed on the Friday before the Tournament last weekend.
    I charged $1000 if they would pick up and install themselves, which they did. They also sent me a nice pic!

I designed this to fit with the resort colors of burgundy & white, instead of the lime green they usually print their logo in. They said when it wasn't green it was black & white, so I said how about white on a burgundy reverse panel. They had drawn an awkward landscape layout, but once they got my layout, they loved it.

To speed up the production time, I used 1/2" PVC instead of MDO like I usually would have used. I screwed the 4x4's to the spoil board & routed a quick groove to recess my sign into. First time trying that, but it won't be the last! I printed the graphics since I didn't have enough burgundy in stock & the sign is a short term sign, or so they say...

Anyway, I primed & painted the posts with water base paint to get them done quickly. The panel was tapped in with a rubber mallet. It was a tight enough fit that it didn't need any adhesive or fasteners... but I did reinforce the complete assembly, so the client wouldn't risk snapping off my tabs if they weren't careful installing it.

Well, I have a few pics, so I'll try to upload in some sort of logical order.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• vc1.jpg
      vc1.jpg
      File size:
      241.2 KB
      Views:
    • vc2.jpg
      vc2.jpg
      File size:
      241.8 KB
      Views:
    • vc4.jpg
      vc4.jpg
      File size:
      279.5 KB
      Views:
    • vc5.jpg
      vc5.jpg
      File size:
      255.3 KB
      Views:
    • vc6.jpg
      vc6.jpg
      File size:
      259.6 KB
      Views:
    • vc7.jpg
      vc7.jpg
      File size:
      166.9 KB
      Views:
    Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I like it! clean and simple. and had all materials there that always rocks

3. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    yep... pretty much... just had to run to Home Depot for the 4x4's...

...stayed late, routed, primed & painted the posts that first night... ran the prints too...

next day, just lam, cut & apply prints, mount finials, sign panel & bracing!

4. Dave Drane

Dave Drane Very Active Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Well done Doug. Apart from the money it is a great feeling of accomplishment. Another happy customer who will talk and sell more signs for you.

5. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Good show, sure is nice when you can jobs like this easy.

6. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Good job Doug. It's nice having materials at hand when you need to turn a project around quick for those good paying rush jobs. I always keep materials in stock just for that reason. One question, did you hand route the slots or were you able to do that on your router table? My gantry height isn't high enough to do on my table. It's a ten year old Multicam and I only have about 2 1/2" to work with.

7. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    great looking sign shape -

GP

8. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Nice Doug. You took a piece of komacel (?) & a couple 4x4's and made a fantastic looking sign.

I zoomed in on the "Installed" pic, to notice they didn't touch up the screw holes. Perhaps you should have included a little touch up paint. Or another option (next time) would be to screw a 2x4 to the side of the 4x4's, then your plywood to that? At least those holes would be on the sides of your post instead of the face.

Of course if you were installing, it would have been touched up, I'm sure.

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Nicely done.

What's the bracing for ??

10. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    I think he allready said Gino. You have to plan for the worst, when handing over a sign for the customer to install.

EDIT: Or perhaps your question wasn't really a question, rather leading up to a "Better Way", that you will now share with us?

11. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    Well done Doug! Nice clean application.

12. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Good job Doug, looks good!

13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :thankyou:

I didn't see that. Guess I skimmed a little too fast.

14. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Doug, just curious did you cut out the PVC by hand or did you use a CNC router?
    Either way, great job and clean looking design and construction.

15. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    Thanks for the replies!

let's see if I can remember the few questions...

I gave them a small tube of white silicone for hole patching... didn't even require a caulk gun...

In hindsight, it wouldn't have been that difficult to include a permanent 36" painted 4x4 cross member under the sign, also notched in & lag bolted...

If i installed it I wouldn't have even put the bracing on, because it was reasonably solid, but if some husband & wife team went out to install their first ever sign & one of them dropped their end walking from the truck to the holes, there just might have been enough weight & enough torque to mess things up, so I figured at the 11th hour that i needed to brace it.

The sign panel was CNC cut of course... can't imagine why that would ever not be the case.

The 4x4's do fit under the newer Multicam 3000 gantry, so I included the first 2 attachments to show then still screwed down to the table with small angle brackets to hold them during routing. It was a first attempt at routing in 4x4's, but it was quick & easy.

16. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    nice work Doug! to get such a nice looking sign out so fast is amazing. like how you routed the posts and made the sign fit in to it. nice idea.

17. michsanford

michsanford Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Gastonia, NC
    Great work!

18. Deaton Design

Deaton Design Very Active Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Really nice looking Doug. Whats the size, or did I miss it?

19. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Nice! Now , if you could just do one of those a day....

20. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    Holy Crap! $1,000 not installed?

Nice job!