• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

not too bad for a 48 hour rush job

iSign

well, as the title says I was able to design this & have it ready for install in record time. The client is on the resort property where Maui's largest & most high profile golf tournament is held. They were late getting approval & finally ordered the sign Wednesday, in hopes of getting it installed on the Friday before the Tournament last weekend.
I charged $1000 if they would pick up and install themselves, which they did. They also sent me a nice pic!

I designed this to fit with the resort colors of burgundy & white, instead of the lime green they usually print their logo in. They said when it wasn't green it was black & white, so I said how about white on a burgundy reverse panel. They had drawn an awkward landscape layout, but once they got my layout, they loved it.

To speed up the production time, I used 1/2" PVC instead of MDO like I usually would have used. I screwed the 4x4's to the spoil board & routed a quick groove to recess my sign into. First time trying that, but it won't be the last! I printed the graphics since I didn't have enough burgundy in stock & the sign is a short term sign, or so they say...

Anyway, I primed & painted the posts with water base paint to get them done quickly. The panel was tapped in with a rubber mallet. It was a tight enough fit that it didn't need any adhesive or fasteners... but I did reinforce the complete assembly, so the client wouldn't risk snapping off my tabs if they weren't careful installing it.

Well, I have a few pics, so I'll try to upload in some sort of logical order.

attachment.php

Attachments

• vc1.jpg
    vc1.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 124
  • vc2.jpg
    vc2.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 74
  • vc4.jpg
    vc4.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 84
  • vc5.jpg
    vc5.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 89
  • vc6.jpg
    vc6.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 80
  • vc7.jpg
    vc7.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 118

iSign

yep... pretty much... just had to run to Home Depot for the 4x4's...

...stayed late, routed, primed & painted the posts that first night... ran the prints too...

next day, just lam, cut & apply prints, mount finials, sign panel & bracing!

Dave Drane

Well done Doug. Apart from the money it is a great feeling of accomplishment. Another happy customer who will talk and sell more signs for you.

SignManiac

Good job Doug. It's nice having materials at hand when you need to turn a project around quick for those good paying rush jobs. I always keep materials in stock just for that reason. One question, did you hand route the slots or were you able to do that on your router table? My gantry height isn't high enough to do on my table. It's a ten year old Multicam and I only have about 2 1/2" to work with.

skyhigh

Nice Doug. You took a piece of komacel (?) & a couple 4x4's and made a fantastic looking sign.

I zoomed in on the "Installed" pic, to notice they didn't touch up the screw holes. Perhaps you should have included a little touch up paint. Or another option (next time) would be to screw a 2x4 to the side of the 4x4's, then your plywood to that? At least those holes would be on the sides of your post instead of the face.

Of course if you were installing, it would have been touched up, I'm sure.

skyhigh

so the client wouldn't risk snapping off my tabs if they weren't careful installing it.

attachment.php

I think he allready said Gino. You have to plan for the worst, when handing over a sign for the customer to install.

EDIT: Or perhaps your question wasn't really a question, rather leading up to a "Better Way", that you will now share with us?

FatCat

Doug, just curious did you cut out the PVC by hand or did you use a CNC router?
Either way, great job and clean looking design and construction.

iSign

Thanks for the replies!

let's see if I can remember the few questions...

I gave them a small tube of white silicone for hole patching... didn't even require a caulk gun...

In hindsight, it wouldn't have been that difficult to include a permanent 36" painted 4x4 cross member under the sign, also notched in & lag bolted...

If i installed it I wouldn't have even put the bracing on, because it was reasonably solid, but if some husband & wife team went out to install their first ever sign & one of them dropped their end walking from the truck to the holes, there just might have been enough weight & enough torque to mess things up, so I figured at the 11th hour that i needed to brace it.

The sign panel was CNC cut of course... can't imagine why that would ever not be the case.

The 4x4's do fit under the newer Multicam 3000 gantry, so I included the first 2 attachments to show then still screwed down to the table with small angle brackets to hold them during routing. It was a first attempt at routing in 4x4's, but it was quick & easy.

Marlene

nice work Doug! to get such a nice looking sign out so fast is amazing. like how you routed the posts and made the sign fit in to it. nice idea.