• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nozzles dropping out when printing - Until head is cleaned

wax000

Hi Everyone - Just wanted peoples thoughts on the below please.

We have a Mimaki TS500-1800A, and when we start the machine in the morning a lot of nozzles are missing. So we perform a clean and all the nozzles come back to life and a test print shows them all working and firing.

However, as we continue to print, random nozzles begin to stop firing and by about an hour around 20% of the nozzles stop firing ink. Its usually Black and blue which are prone to the disappearing nozzles. When we perform a clean, all the nozzles come back to life again! What we have ended up doing is setting the printer to perform an Auto Clean every set length to bring the nozzles back to life. but as the set length approaches you can see the nozzles starting to disappear.

I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on whether these disappearing nozzles are common place and what could be the culprit? We had brand new printheads installed last week on the black side but the problem was present before and after the head change. The printed also comes with Degassing Modules and these were also replaced to ensure air wasn't getting into the ink on both black and Blue, however the problem still persists. The printer has 6 printheads in total, and each head has 4 channels, and the missing nozzles always appear across all the heads but in one channel (ie, 2 Black ink bottles, but the missing nozzles are always for one channel of black, the other is perfect)

Also, I noticed on our other printer (TS34-1800) that the heads go and sit over the capping station every so often and get a wipe also, however this TS500-1800 does not do this, should the heads be returning to the capping station every so often for a "refresh wipe" and quick clean? If so, anyone know where I can find this in the settings?