• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nu Alum

psbc2009

Customer has existing sign they want replaced. Appears to be 1/2 inch wood with vinyl graphics. It is mounted between two routed posts.
Top of the sign will be routed leaving a 1/2 circle. We will be applying vinyl and digital graphics. Looking at nu alum from Harbor Sales. Would this be a good choice? Does it hold up well?
Thanks!

CanuckSigns

we've done a few signs with new alum, same application as you, post and panel sign, routered to shape.

so far after 3 years it's holding up very well, just make sure you seal the exposed plywood edges very well and it should last a good long time.

psbc2009

Do you seal the edges that go into the routed post as well? What did you use as a sealer - i am guessing they have material that will fit the edge.

Mosh

6 mil max metal is what I would use. (aluminum composite). That way there is no wood to worry about.

Malkin

If moisture gets in, the wood will expand and the faces will blow out. If there is a question about whether or not to seal - do it.

We used a similar product for a few years that had presealed edges... we then spent the next few years replacing signs almost monthly because the seals were apparently no good.

psbc2009

They want to reuse their current routed post which are in good condition.
I like the idea of using 6mm max metal but the post are ready for 1/2 inch - whats the best way to make it a good fit - sorry if this is a dumb question