• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

number sequence

Hey Guys, I need to make a bunch of labels that go from P20001 to P20150

I use Illustrator, whats the best way of doing this

they are going to be printed and kiss cut rectangles 3/4"x1.5"

Thanks!

unclebun

It's a lot easier in Corel Draw because it can all be done within Corel Draw. But in Illustrator you can use Excel and do a data merge. Google sequential numbering in illustrator and you'll find numerous Youtube videos showing how.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
What RIP are you using? This can be done in several programs like INDD, AI (I would assume Corel as mentioned above). It can also be done in VW or Onyx. The terminology your looking for is "Variable Data". You can look up how to merge variable data for the software you decide to use.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
There's a couple things I don't like about the data merge and print merge methods for CorelDRAW and Adobe InDesign. Each number object is created on a different page. There doesn't appear to be any easy or quick way to auto-generate a sequential series of separate numbered objects on the same page or art board. Copying and pasting from a spreadsheet or text file appears to be the most direct way in CorelDRAW.

I like being able to see all the numbered items on the same page to see (and fix) number spacing issues more easily. I don't like the default tabular lining figures that are likely to flow in from a separate program, be it Excel, Word Pad or even Notepad. Numbers with tabular lining often have ugly spacing gaps, particularly around the number 1. If you can select all the numbers at once on the same page they can all be changed from tabular lining to proportional lining in just a couple clicks. Proportional lining figures look a lot better for numbered signs. Default tabular lining is best for multiple numbered objects containing two or more numbers each are stacked above each other in lists or equations. Great for spreadsheets, but usually not so great on signs. Not all fonts contain proportional lining figures (or old style figures, numerators, denominators, etc).

If you're printing, cutting or doing a bit of both it's nice to be able to have more visual control over how the objects are arranged (or nested) before they're print or cut.

unclebun

I would never do data merge for making signs like house numbers. Lay those out individually. I only use data merge for things like parking permits or tickets which have to be numbered. Centering or left aligned comes out fine, particularly since they tend to be 3 or 4 digit numbers or more.