• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

O3951 RA wrap install issue

MrDesignGuy

SO... I wrapped a large laundry delivery van about a month ago and it had some pretty large concave and convex surfaces. I used 3m Primer 94 on all the areas I think it needed it, and the vinyl has decided to come up in certain areas. Mostly in the crevices in the indent over the convex shape. (SEE PIC). I was told by another sign installer that a syringe with a needle and adhesive would be able to get behind the bubbled up areas and adhere the vinyl back onto the vehicle. First, what type of adhesive to use and is this safe for the paint? Also, would there be an even better solution to get the vinyl to lay back down. I already used a ton of heat and got it to lay down, but it decides to come back up after a few hours. Help is appreiciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4551.jpg
    IMG_4551.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 68

speedmedia

Typically once it comes up there isn't much of a chance of getting it to go back down. That area shouldn't be a difficult area to get vinyl to stay down on if it is relief cut on the seams and it was prepped and installed properly.

Not sure I would mess with the syringe and adhesive, sounds like that could make more issues!

Thanks,
Kurt

"Deposit Please"

Instead of heating the media to conform and stick, heat the concave area from inside the truck (if the panel is exposed) . you will need a helper...

MrDesignGuy

By relief cut you mean to do this during the install correct? This can't be done once the install is finished right? I thought of cutting along the edge where the vinyl is coming up, painting on the tape primer in that area and then trying to lay back down. I would risk stretching or having the vehicle substrate showing. When you do relief cut during an install, do you use extra graphics to seam, or do you just use one piece and cut along an edge like that and then re-align the vinyl along that same edge and continue on?

Thanks

I assume you used OraJet 3951RA on this project. In the future do not use Primer 94 with this media. It is designed for 3M and the primer actually attacks the Oracals adhesive. The adhesive is designed to keep the media in these contours without any additional preparation, other than proper cleaning.

HulkSmash

By relief cut you mean to do this during the install correct? This can't be done once the install is finished right? I thought of cutting along the edge where the vinyl is coming up, painting on the tape primer in that area and then trying to lay back down. I would risk stretching or having the vehicle substrate showing. When you do relief cut during an install, do you use extra graphics to seam, or do you just use one piece and cut along an edge like that and then re-align the vinyl along that same edge and continue on?

Thanks

No, you add the relief cut AFTER it's installed. you tuck it as deep as you can into the bottom and top of the "bump" and then relief cut on the top and the bottom where your eye level won't catch it. pretty much you cut it where it's attached to the vehicle.. hard to explain in type..

MrDesignGuy

Thanks for the insight, I did not know this.
I assume you used OraJet 3951RA on this project. In the future do not use Primer 94 with this media. It is designed for 3M and the primer actually attacks the Oracals adhesive. The adhesive is designed to keep the media in these contours without any additional preparation, other than proper cleaning.

MrDesignGuy

I know exactly what you mean. I've done these in the past on other vehicles. Just had a brain fart! I think the issue I had on this truck is that I didn't tuck the vinyl in on that top edge enough and ended up having to stretch the vinyl over it and the convex mould. Should have taken care and a bit more time here. The first side I did is a bit bubbly and the other side this didn't happen. I guess you learn from your mistakes the hard way sometimes.
No, you add the relief cut AFTER it's installed. you tuck it as deep as you can into the bottom and top of the "bump" and then relief cut on the top and the bottom where your eye level won't catch it. pretty much you cut it where it's attached to the vehicle.. hard to explain in type..