• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Obtaining a permit....................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've had an hourly rate [ $110.00 per hour] for years as to what this would cost an end-user, but we've been asked by someone recently to PLEASE itemize it. They wanted to know what all it entails. Other than the paperwork of filling it out and going in and physically pulling it, what other than the actual cost of the permit, your time, your time for filling it out..... is there for itemizing it ?? Guess we just got off easy all these years with no one ever asking for the nitty-gritty questions.

Any ideas or terms are greatly appreciated.................
:thankyou: Gino

fresh

1. Researching Sign Ordinances for each town / municipality. Even if you know it like the back of your hand, you are entitled to charge for your expertise and knowledge. It takes at least a few minutes to pull up a file, either digitally or manually, go to the appropriate section, and make sure you are in compliance.

2. Generating scaled drawings. How much does an architect / engineer get paid for a simple drawing?!? I have to measure and label everything around here. Charge for site visit, and transportation to & from the site.

3. Photo copies & print-outs. Again, how much do other professionals charge? $1 a page?

All of these things take time. If your client wants an itemized list, and you bill in 15 minute increments, I bet you are going to come out ahead.

BTW, How many hours do you typically estimate for permitting? What if you have to go to council meetings? I have a client who wants us to go to a council meeting with him, but honestly, its not a very big job. I estimate 25% of his total budget will be on us doing stuff that he could do himself. I'd rather not spend all that much time pining for something so small.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a disclaimer stating should a night zoning meeting be necessary, there will be additional charges.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If the customer had to do this one time by themselves, they would gladly pay your fee - at least around here.

Every area is a little different but in general you have to determine what the property is zoned, which sometimes means dealing with the ever-helpful city staff. Hopefully in that process you don't get a city employee on the phone who is more interested in updating their Facebook status than assisting you (I've stood in line for permits in Dallas and watched this happen).

Fresh summed it up pretty well. Most customers have no idea of the amount of time, effort and headaches involved with pulling permits.

I know you know what's entailed, but most customers don't have a clue.

2B

+1 to fresh & Moze

getting permits is NOT as simple as customers want to imagine

Never had one want it itemized though, we have always used this on estimates
Obtaining permit to install sign within XXXXXXX City Limits
Sign Type: XXXXXXX

ThinkRight

Easy peasy
A line item with

[h=1]" UCC enforcement responsibilities"[/h]
Pennsylvania's Uniform Construction Code regulations require the Department of Labor and Industry to approve the following when they are located in municipalities (political subdivisions) that have opted out of UCC enforcement responsibilities:

• All commercial construction (construction involving buildings and structures other than one- or two-family dwellings three stories or less in height)
  • Sign construction
  • Demolitions
The Department also has sole jurisdiction for all state-owned buildings and structures, no matter where they are located.
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=553809&mode=2

Tdewitt

Geez! I would hate to live where some of you live!! Iowa is pretty straight forward. Hell most of the time I don't even charge for permit acquisition, just because its a matter of sending an email to the community developer and asking him to approve this permit. Not a lot of hassle and it's over in a few minutes.

I guess Iowans have a little more common sense than most?? Like lets not use deck screws to hang this sign on a wall made of dryvit!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all.............:toasting:

The quote was accepted right away and all I did was use some of the various big words some of you offered up and dazzled 'em with bullsh!t and it worked.

Got the job and the checks were sent out last night priority mail. They want this done next week. Right :rolleyes:

• I agree about the nonsense involved with getting a permit around here, but it is a necessary evil. Without it, so many more hacks would be doing terrible installations, ruining people's property and mostly costing someone some big bucks when things go wrong. With a permit, you are proving to everyone insurance coverage is there, you are doing the job correctly according to local specs and you are following the rules of any particular municipality. Therefore, should something go wrong during or after the installation..... everything is in writing and you have a paper trail to prove what was/wasn't done.