• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

obtaining a permit

kidriddlin

I live in York PA and have a chance to do my first internally illuminated box sign. I have the sign and vinyl and installation quoted but I dont know how to get a permit and what it costs so I can put that in my costs. Any help would be great.

-thanks

2B

contact the city office and find out which department handles the sign codes, and the should be able to direct/send you all teh needed information to get permits

Moze

I live in York PA and have a chance to do my first internally illuminated box sign. I have the sign and vinyl and installation quoted but I dont know how to get a permit and what it costs so I can put that in my costs. Any help would be great.

-thanks

Your best bet is to call the Planning & Zoning department and ask them. Unless there are other members from York here that are familiar with the process, you're not going to get much help.

Every city is different - ask the folks that you'll be submitting the permit to.

John L

You want to call Commonwealth Code in York and tell them what you are about to do. But this might not work out like you are thinking.

DigiPrinter

Some municipalities are tough to get good answers/costs from, over the phone, for the actual sign permit without bringing in all of the paperwork (based on my experience). I often sell projects with my proposal stating that permits are billed at cost. I do though put on my proposals a permit acquisition fee for obtaining the permit and that can range from $150 - $275, depending on where I have to go for the permit. I only get a hard number on the actual permit cost if the client asks for it.

kidriddlin

i like the acquisition fee. looks like it would be a good idea to cover any extra junk that could come up in the process. thanks for that tip

Kottwitz-Graphics

i like the acquisition fee. looks like it would be a good idea to cover any extra junk that could come up in the process. thanks for that tip

I charge a "permit procurement fee", and that covers the extra labor of creating any drawings that the town will need, filling out the forms, and if it is in a historic area, attending the planning and zoning meeting to make sure it goes through ( in a local town, the p&z psople want to see samples of materials, explanations of manufacturing processes)....

kidriddlin

Thanks. More good info for this stuff I never knew. I worked at a place for a few years that i designed and did tech drawings for and we did huge pylon signs and alot of channel letters and sign cabinets. So I feel comfortable doing the layout part bet never was on the paperwork side of these things. I also have done installation of box signs and channel letters so im comfortable there as well.

I guess I should make sure the sign has a UL inspection and sticker too. If it doesnt where can I get that done?

I dont want to pass up this job because its good profit and it helps get me into a whole other level of work and services that I can offer with proof of experience not just the fact that I did it in past employment.

thanks

DigiPrinter

Where are you getting your signs built? I don't know the York area and what companies are out there, but you should be able to find a wholesale sign manufacturing company that carries UL. If you're buying from some guy out of a garage then you're going to have a hard time getting something UL'd.

kidriddlin

Where are you getting your signs built? I don't know the York area and what companies are out there, but you should be able to find a wholesale sign manufacturing company that carries UL. If you're buying from some guy out of a garage then you're going to have a hard time getting something UL'd.

Harbor sales is the best price i could find. they sell kits or they assemble them for you. Check them out www.harborsales.net

maybe they do the UL inspection? Ill have to ask.