Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oce Colorado just installed

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by CL Visual, Jan 12, 2019.

1. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    Just got one installed last week. I know there have been some threads on it so if anyone has questions, I'd be happy to try to answer or run some prints.

My intention is to use this to print wall wraps on IJ180 and a lot of Window Perf on it.

So far, I've learned you can't really print decals on it because the material gets so brittle that its impossible to weed after its cut. All the matrix just breaks apart and it takes forever.

Tags:
  2. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Haha wow. Great some honest feedback from an actual user.

I heard only cheaper monomeric vinyls get brittle. Have you tried intermediate/cast?

3. zspace

zspace New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Congratulations on the new equipment. I’m looking at it for similar applications - wall coverings and banners.

I’m interested to know why you plan to use 180 instead of a wall paper product.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bruce Mello

Bruce Mello Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    Chris,
    How long will the warranty be?
    How much will a service contract cost?
    Bruce

5. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    What mode are you mostly running? We evaluated one and on paper we were sold. There are a few short comings that stopped us from purchasing which was disappointing because a lot of the machine and usability is awesome and would of fit into our workflow.

The things we found were the print quality at 20sqm an hour was only acceptable to us. At 40sqm there were print artefacts in terms of a gloss banding or step issue.

the little white wheels leave puncture marks in synthetic materials.

If they could fix those two issues I'd be sold.

6. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    Yes, I'm using 3mIJ180cv3 and same result.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  7. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    Service contract is based on useage. Average about $600 a month and does not include cost of a head. Only includes labor to replace it.

8. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    I have been running production mode for window perf which has been great. I run about 1000 sf of window perf daily. IJ180cv3 which I use for wall wraps we have been running on High quality which is 430 sf an hour.

I ran avery 2903 for some decals and had to use specialty mode to get a good result. Thats 215 sf an hour.

9. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    We are having one installed next week. Anything we should know about that we can "pre-warn" the technician about?

10. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    I see SwissQ are bringing out a roll fed printer.
    That should be interesting.

11. waximoff

waximoff Member

May 8, 2007
    Brighton, MI
    Which synthetic materials are you referring to? Ours is being installed as I type this and the sales guy and the tech both say they've never heard of anything getting brittle or damaged.

12. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    You can run multiple 500 series Latex machines for the same price and it will out produce the Colorado. I have seen the Colorado in a few very successful situations so far, but to me it still seems limited on what it can do. The new Swiss Q machine is going to be radical!

13. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    You'll see how brittle everything comes out. Oce is well aware of the issue and warned us upfront on it. 3m will not certify their inks currently. The new generation of ink is being developed and expected to be much better although the current machine probably will not be able to accept it as is.

14. Jim Lattanzio

Jim Lattanzio New Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Oregon
    We run decals on 3m ij35 and it cuts and weeds fine. We did have to have them create a special profile for us because the canned profile the ink was being lifted off the media when using a graphtec cutter and transfer paper. We had to extend the carriage travel time to the max. It works but the time it takes to print jobs is frustrating.

15. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    So not the speed demon they make it out to be? LOL, so much for game changer.

16. CMYKENGINEERING

CMYKENGINEERING Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Santa Monica
    You could always use better, cheaper alternative inks for your Colorado. Of course, you will have to forego the semi-predatory contract.

17. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    With Yuppo the little white wheels that have the spikes leave puncture marks in the material.

18. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    any new feedback? just wanna see how these are doing in the field.

19. FireSprint

FireSprint Merchant Member

Curious as well. Have not heard a lot of good things from actual production shops. I hope it is going well for your use though!

20. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    As of right now, I plan on sending it back. The machine is extremely limited in its use. I believe they are working on a flexible ink version that may be a lot better. For our purposes, it doesn't do as much as it should. To get the correct quality on a lot of the stuff, you have to print at 230ft an hour. No need for a 70k machine with a $600 a month service contract to get 230ft an hour.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1