• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Office Hours

signgal01

Looking at reducing our office hours/store front. We have always had 8-12 1-5 Monday - Friday office hours. With everything changing to more online/email we don't get very many walk ins, and the walk ins we get are usually not our good customers and take up time that don't amount to sales. Just curious how many shops have reduced office hours or "by appointment only" and how you manage day to day operations. We are a small shop just my husband and I with 1-2 part time employees (full time in our busy season).

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Looking at reducing our office hours/store front. We have always had 8-12 1-5 Monday - Friday office hours. With everything changing to more online/email we don't get very many walk ins, and the walk ins we get are usually not our good customers and take up time that don't amount to sales. Just curious how many shops have reduced office hours or "by appointment only" and how you manage day to day operations. We are a small shop just my husband and I with 1-2 part time employees (full time in our busy season).

When I had a retail shop the hours posted on the door were 7am-4pm (if I was actually in the store) I don't have a shop now where people come in because I didn't much care for the walk-in clientele. I have a shop behind my house and only do e-mail / phone / on-site visits. My business hours on Google are M-F 7am - 6pm.

sardocs

Here's our hours of operation posted on the front door. shop hours.JPG

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Here's our hours of operation posted on the front door. View attachment 134271
Great policy actually. Even while hilarious - it let's the serious customer know that it'd likely be to their benefit to schedule an appointment for services.
I think a similar policy would work well for a shop that doesn't receive regular walk-ins, as signgal01's shop. Or even more pertinently would be something like:

Flexible Office Hours:
  • Mon - Fri: 9AM -5PM
  • Sat-Sun: By appointment only.
Please Note:
The office may close earlier than stated due to the bulk of our services being offered online.
  • Email services@site.com to insure appointment availability.
  • Call (555)555-5555 to speak directly with a representative.
HTH,

SignsSupport

TheSnowman

Interesting this came up. I was getting so many orders via email on a regular basis from my good clients, that I felt confident enough that I could just lock my front door. I'm in a downtown area, with lots of ease for people to stop by, so people kept stopping by to pay bills, etc, and they'd say "oh, it was easy for me just to pop in" and 30 mins later after they told me about their entire day and wanted to chit-chat, I'd either ruined a print, or lost 30 mins.

So anyway, here I am, probably 6 months later, haven't unlocked the front door, and I'm just as busy as I want to be. Not having to work crazy hours to keep up, paying the bills, and I've cut a TON of customer drama out of my life. Have a missed some larger jobs, maybe...but I put a box of business cards out there that seems to disappear on a weekly basis, and I put on my voicemail that for quicker response, you can email me, and so far...it's working great.

I think it all depends on your clients and who you are targeting, but "Happy Birthday Banners" don't pay the bills, and most people that stop in wanting them, only want to spend $5 on one.

I deliver virtually all of my products people order, or ship them, and then any installs, we normally just do on location. It's just me, and I don't get into wraps and stuff like that, so I'm just trying to keep it simple and so far, so good. We're in the process of building a house, and a new shop to where I'm going to move my sign shop to. I was kind of doing this as a test run to see if it could still work, and so far, it's been great. Hardest part is just training people that I'm going to come to them instead of them coming to me, but I can get a heck of a lot more time left in my day by bringing a finished product to them, than wasting time in the office waiting on them to come pick stuff up. And then once everything is delivered, I can get on with whatever is next and I'm not chained to my desk.

RPM

We have been doing this for 19yrs now and it still amazes me how many people will expect service all hours of the day and weekends. We have trained all of our customers that we are open Mon-Thurs 8am-5pm, Friday 8am-3pm so schedule your pick-ups accordingly. Yet we still get the after hours or on weekend phone calls for people in the parking lot looking to either have something made, installed or pick up....

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
By appointment only, either an in person or phone consultation. We will go on site to the client to meet as well given enough lead time. We have moved primarily to an online platform as well. Most stuff is print & ship. When we had our old retail shop it seemed most walk ins were people from other shops looking over our stuff or tire kickers / price checkers anyhow.

We get an occasional call from someone that used to come in to the old shop, never really had enough to justify the rent though just tell them we moved to a top secret hidden location that we'll provide the directions to with a 50% deposit on a project after consultation.

wes70

We are in a rural location with very few walk-ins and some weeks there's none. Always have done the 9-5 monday to friday thing. Just recently we decided to go with a four day week. Monday to friday. Summer is short and so is life!

rjssigns

Only set time I have is quitting time which is 5p.m. That's when the wife gets home. I've also invoked the Ward and June cleaver rule. We try to have as many sit down together at the table meals as possible. No phone, TV, music or other distractions, nothing but true face time.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
8:30-5 M-F
No Weekends
We're located on the only street right thru town with high visibility so we still have walk-ins.
Always wondered about opening Saturdays if business got slow. I know I'm a weekend kind of business guy. I won't stop into a place monday thru friday because I work and can't afford the time to stop anywhere. Plenty of places don't get my business because they're closed on weekends.

graphix45

We have the same situation here. Most days we have people come by to talk about what they want done, get prices for several options so they can present them to the decision makers. Sometimes they never return. We are considering doing a test by closing the office on Monday for a "Production Only" day. It's just my wife and I most of the time and we too have a lot of local companies that send there request/orders via email. It's hard to get anything done if you always seem to be standing there with the customer talking about getting there job done. Very frustrating! Right now our hours are Mon - Thurs 8:30 - 5:00, Fri 8:30 - 1:00. I use the time after 1:00 on Fridays to do installs or delivery to certain customers when needed.

TimToad

We're in an industrial park among mostly other business parks along the main commercial route in a town of about 28,000. Not super visible, but not hidden either.

We have another town of a similar size 10 minutes away and we also draw work from the entire county of 250,000 residents and towns ranging from the largest at 55,000 down to a few thousand. That includes as many as 350 vineyards within a 30 mile radius who are our main target clients. Often the vineyard folks like to come into town to discuss their signage needs in person while attending to other business. We also get the majority of our work from email and phone inquiries like everyone else.

We do not discourage walk ins and they have led to many a great client with far bigger projects. For every PITA, tiny waste of time project that we chew through, fifty good ones come as a result of NOT insulting the customer or coming off like we can't be bothered. The little customer doesn't know any better, they see a sign that says we do signs and they don't perceive a qualifying statement in there. There are three of us here full time and we all were taught how to walk and chew gum at the same time. Multi-tasking like talking and wrapping up finished orders after the client sees them, collecting payment and most importantly SINCERELY thanking them for their business are all within our wheelhouses as professionals. I'm often surprised at how many of our colleagues hold the actual source of their revenue in such discontent and disdain. We don't open our doors and engage in a people oriented skilled craft trade to avoid the customers at all costs.

You want a tough business with little privacy, constant customer demands, very self-entitled guests, and being exposed to multiple online review sites where the slightest misperceived action on your part can be lied about, exaggerated and shared with the world? My wife and I owned and operated a Bed & Breakfast for eight years. Only crazy people would want that kind of pain. We loved it when it went great and still have friendships with a few of the guests, but all in all it was pretty awful. We succeeded beyond our expectations and were very popular, but the PITAS were both horrible to deal with, they WERE IN OUR HOUSE! I have hundreds of stories about the whole experience and how the breakdown in civility in our society extends even to people on vacation.

We actually take pride in being the "mom and pop" "small town" sign company with a big city attitude towards service, quality and professionalism. We also do free deliveries when its convenient or when we are driving right by a customer's locations. When we took over this business there were piles of completed signs collecting dust and I asked the outgoing owner why they hadn't been dealt with. He steadfastly told me that "We don't deliver!" So, he'd rather have jobs sit and collect dust, not get paid for them and be perceived as unyielding by some customers. He'd drive right by many customer's businesses more than once a day to go pick up materials, go to the bank, a restaurant, go home, etc. but dropping off a sign was beyond some principled line he stood by.

Our hours are 8-5pm Monday-Friday and Saturdays by appointment only. If we are here on a Saturday, we answer the phone if it rings. We've picked up a ton of good quality work doing so while the competition is off playing. We're in the business to succeed and be perceived as approachable and ready to provide our services above all else.

We've heard that one of our competitors and now his successor are avid surfers and can be found down on the coast some days surfing instead of working. Well, that's great until you miss deadlines, work gets done wrong, employees shrug their shoulders and are either forced to lie for you and why you aren't there, or don't feel comfortable doing the customer relations work only the owner should be doing. We're not all work and no play either, we just know when and how to prioritize the stuff that enables us to go have fun. We just returned from an awesome weekend up in the Bay Area and took yesterday off in order to see U2 last night and not have to drive home 3.5 hours. Working hard allows us to do stuff like that, go camping, go visit friends and family, etc. but those things get worked around our business, not at its expense.

I used to live in several major fishing and hunting regions. Between October and spring, you couldn't get barely a contractor to do much of anything in a timely fashion.

The reason most owner's are in business is because they possess a higher degree of initiative, self-motivation and accountability as well as ability to deal with adversity better than the average employee and to make more money than working for others allows. For those reasons, you gotta be there to deal with problems when they arise. The buck stops with us.

Ldireprophil

I've been a brick & mortar retail print shop for over 20 years. Before the 2008 recession we were M-F 7am-6pm. I think in 2010 I switched to M-F 8am -5pm.