• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Office temperature for storing vinyls/paper

N Johnston

Hi guys
I am pretty new to large format digital printing, graphic designer by trade. I have a large wooden shed/cabin as a studio which is made from 19mm tongue and groove with 1 good layer of fibreglass insulation with plasterboard interior walls. Heat is only on if I am in the studio which is part time currently, 2 electric heaters. I am finding that in Autumn/Winter when I come into the studio in morning that say vinyl I've had in printer overnight is curling up and bending. And printed stickers are too if I've printed them previously and left them on the table Any advice on how to keep printed items in good condition and materials in general? Must be the cold weather although the winter is still to come so it will get alot colder. Its maybe the cold with slight damp? I'm worried about prints being ruined. Is it really necessary to regulate the temperature in the studio, what does everyone else do? Many thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's been my experience that most vinyls should not be in a room or area with heavy climate changes. Humidity is also a problem. They should be stored tully rolled and in a climate controlled area of some sort. If not, you're bound to have all kindsa problems. As for already printed surfaces, if they too are curling, I would imagine your air supply is hitting extremes not good for anything in that hut. Try to keep your stored vinyls, both clean and printed, your inks, your printer, your laminator and laminates in an area between 55º and 85º with low humidity. Otherwise...... move.

N Johnston

It's been my experience that most vinyls should not be in a room or area with heavy climate changes. Humidity is also a problem. They should be stored tully rolled and in a climate controlled area of some sort. If not, you're bound to have all kindsa problems. As for already printed surfaces, if they too are curling, I would imagine your air supply is hitting extremes not good for anything in that hut. Try to keep your stored vinyls, both clean and printed, your inks, your printer, your laminator and laminates in an area between 55º and 85º with low humidity. Otherwise...... move.

Thank you Gino, good advice :)