• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Offset Inks Versus Solvent Inks Durability

jasonx

Hey guys,

I've been on Google trying to find a range for the outdoor durability of offset inks. Seen heat set, cold set, uv cured etc but can't find any information on the outdoor durability of the inks.

I know solvent can range from 3-5 years as a guideline. Has anyone got any information on the offset side or a reference you could point me to.

Thanks
Jason

ABPGraphics

I've also been wondering this..... Just how DURABLE are solvent inks in an outdoor setting without laminate? What is the solvents biggest enemy? Rain?

ChiknNutz

UV is likely the biggest killer, excluding abrasion and chemical attacks...which would be worst w/o laminate. 3-5 is pretty accurate from my perspective, I've got a few things out there w/o laminate that still look good 4+ yrs later (one in particular, W. exposure, temperate climate).

jasonx

I'd agree with the three year mark to be safe. I've had jobs out for three years no unlaminated doing very well. Lamination is meant to prolong the life in terms of UV protection but also provides chemical and abrasion protection.

Anyone got any info the the offset side?

Monsterkidz

I was having this debate with my team today. We were doing some framed aluminum storefront signs for a new bakery. We printed on a 3-5 year calendered vinyl figuring after 3-5 the print itself would be shot and the sign would need to be reprinted anyway.

We were printing on our Roland XC-540.

jasonx

I was having this debate with my team today. We were doing some framed aluminum storefront signs for a new bakery. We printed on a 3-5 year calendered vinyl figuring after 3-5 the print itself would be shot and the sign would need to be reprinted anyway.

Were you using monomeric or polymeric.

visualeyez

I am doing one right now on cast with cast laminate, so I'm hoping for 5-7 but we shall see. Also printing two coats of ink with the return to origin feature.