• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oh man, banner scam again

sghobbies

I had one that was very persistent. So I said, Ok, We'll do the banners.....just as soon as you pay the paypal invoice I'm about to send. Never heard back from that one...lol

Here is another I found sorting through my email.

Good day..
My name is Rev DREW GORDON with the DREW GORDON Inc And i am sending this email to your business in regards to the order for some Banners and the Sizes that i am looking for are :

1. measures 30 x 60 inches
2. One sided on Vinyl.
3. Full copies Red Ink and the color of the Background i want is Yellow
4. l want you to write of the Banner ( Christian Methodist Church ) For the Artwork.
5. With grommet for out door use

And Please provide a quote on 100 copies and please can you send me an email reply back with the Estimate price of that plus tax without shipping.Advise me the method of of payment you accept so that we can proceed with this order. I will be Looking forward to hear back from you so that we can proceed with the Order .
Regards....
Thank you
DREW GORDON
Stay Blessed

TheSnowman

If they are going to rip everyone off, the least they could do is just order blank unhemmed ungrommeted banners. Since they just use the shipping to make their dough anyway. I guess that's what being a douche is all about though...ripping everyone off as bad as you can.

routierracing

Tell them the only option is to place the gromments in the center of the banner each placed an inch apart. I bet they won't even mind. lol Also make them keep approving different designs. Then after that even make a separate proof showing where the gromment locations are and make them approve it. Then ask them to go to a paint store and pick out some color swatches they like and ship them to you.

We have a "mailing list" that we send tips, tricks and our specials. We just sent out a "lookout" email for this scam last month. You would be surprised how many email's we got back from people who have never heard of the scam.

Here's a link to the email we sent out.
http://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=f4f752cf16df5354f904d9905&id=8e72f92994

What spurred the email, is one of our customers came to us to quote the job out, we had to break the bad news to them.

ONLINE SIGN GUY

here is one we got 2 days ago.

Inbox > Message Detail
Entire thread
Print Previous Next
Subject:
Quote Please
Frank Lescot <lescoffice@gmail.com> (Add as Preferred Sender)
Date: Thu, Jan 20, 2011 5:50 pm
To:
From Subject (Thread Messages) Date Size

Hello,
I would like to place an order regarding printing of banners from your outfit.
Reply to me with pricing for ten banners of size 5ft x 12ft (1.5m x 3.7m)so I can send you my artwork,
Let me know if you accept credit card payments.
Looking forward to hear from you ASAP.

and it keeps moving on...

Sign Works

here is one we got 2 days ago.

Inbox > Message Detail
Entire thread
Print Previous Next
Subject:
Quote Please
Frank Lescot <lescoffice@gmail.com> (Add as Preferred Sender)
Date: Thu, Jan 20, 2011 5:50 pm
To:
From Subject (Thread Messages) Date Size

Hello,
Reply to me with pricing for ten banners of size 5ft x 12ft (1.5m x 3.7m)so I can send you my artwork,

and it keeps moving on...

I got this one from Frank Lescot last week.

Hello,
Reply me with pricing for three banners of size 12ft x 18ft (3.7m x 5.5m) so I can send you my artwork,

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
No banner print request in this one but it is good to know that I am on God's exclusive
"Undisclosed Recipients" list.....

wayne k
guam usa

Dearest In The Lord

The time has come for Christians to worship God in spirit and in truth
according to the book of John chapter 4:vs23-24.But the hour cometh and
now is when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in
truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him . God is a spirit,and
they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. Based on
this scripture, it became obvious that I should do the right thing if I
must enter into the kingdom of God .

I am , Deacon Benjamin Van the legal adviser to late Mr. Mike & Carol
Hall, a God fearing and dedicated couple. They were very wealthy but had
no child. They travelled to Patong- Thailand for Christmas holiday but met
death on the 26th of December 2004 during the Tsunami disaster.

As their legal adviser, before their death, the husband Mr. Mike Hall
instructed me to write his WILL, because they had no child, he dedicated
their wealth to God. They had a lot of landed properties houses
Stocks/bonds, etc. According to their instruction.According to the WILL,
their assets should be given out to a ministry for the work of God. As
their legal adviser, all the documents for the fund that are deposited
with the Vault company are in my care. As aborn again Christian , I have
been reading my bible and I have to do what is lawful and right in the
sight of God by giving out the fund to the chosen ministry for the purpose
of God's work as instructed by the owners before there death.

After my fasting and prayers Today, I asked God to make his choice and
direct me to an honest Christian or the chosen ministry that deserves this
fund by his Grace. I then came across your address on the Internet.I
appeal to you to use the fund wisely for things that will glorify the name
of God.

I must say that I'm very uncomfortable sending this message to you without
knowing truly if you would misconstrue the importance and decides to go
public. In this regards, I will not hold back to say that the essence of
this message is strictly for Charity.May God bless you as you make up your
mind to work for God.Please Call me on +4470-457-163-56

Thanks.
Elizabeth & Deacon Benjamin Van.

btropical.com

Hello,

Good day, my name is Kingsley Jones. Well i will need either the Hanes,Jerzees or Fruit of the Loom brand with 50/50 cotton and the size adult small size. I will need them in plain black color without any printing, and the quantity is 1000. Let me know the price for each and what the total cost will be for 1000 pieces including tax.

Once the order is ready,I would schedule FedEx to get the order to be picked-up at your store.

Kingsley Jones
Kingsley Jones <kjones4427@yahoo.com>

Jim Hamilton

Looks like the same scam is back with a COVID-19 twist. Here is what I received yesterday.
Makes me sick that people are this twisted.

Scott Blake
EMAIL
XXXXXX@gmail.com
SHORT TEXT FIELD
Attention Owners!
Please I would like to know if you can give me some pricing on your Printed Vinyl Banners. I really need the Banners for a Charity donation that I would want to get done in the memory of my late wife who died from the COVID-19. I would be very glad if you can help me make this donation come into reality. I'm going to pay for the entire cost of the Banners so it's not for free. Thank you very much!.
Your Brother In Christ,
Scott Blake

My Response:
Scott, What size banners are you looking to have made?

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. Below you will find the details of the Banners that I am looking for. Outdoor Vinyl Banners Size : 48” W x 24” H (INCHES) Grommets Every 2ft Banner Material : 15oz Quantity : 250 Pieces Single Sided Turnaround Time : 10-12 Days From Proof Approval BANNER WILL READ THE FOLLOWING TEXT.... Do not take advantage of the widow or the fatherless. If you do and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry. My anger will be aroused, and I will kill you with the sword, your wives will become widows and your children fatherless. "Exodus 22:22-24" (Red Text on a White Background) I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much!.
Your Brother In Christ,
Scott Blake

ME: {Spidey Senses Tingling} Give him a price and say payment in full is required to start production

Him:
Thank you very much for your time. I am glad you are in the best position to help me with this order because it's going out as a charity. I am based here in Norwood, MA USA. But what I am ordering from your company will be donated to the country where my late wife whom I lost through this COVID-19 was originally from. I'm doing this charity simply because she was raised by this same Orphanage Home when she lost her parents at the early stage of her life. So please below you will find the contact details of the Freight Forwarders that I would want to handle the shipment of this order. Freight Company's Name : SUNSET SHIPPING LIMITED E-mail Address : Quotes.SunsetShippingLtd@protonmail.com Contact Person : Terry Adams Phone Number # : 417-942-6407 This is where the order will be delivered to as Charity. Ship To Address : Contact : Mariam Thresia SOS Children's Village, Jaffna No. 219, Nayanmar Street Nayanmarkaddu Nallur, Jaffna - Sri Lanka Tel: +94-21 2211101/2 Express Delivery Needed For This Shipment. Please contact them at the email address above and find out a cost for Express Shipment. When you find out the cost then you add it to the previous cost and then send me a revised quote for final approval/full payment. I"ll also be making Payment of the order through your preferred most secure payment link or over the phone if this is possible. Thank you very much!. Your Brother In Christ, Scott Blake ***************** Scott Blake 180 Codman Road, Norwood, MA 02062 USA +1 (774)-332-7922

ME: Nope. Nice Try. I'm going to pass

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Yeah we had one last month too. It was our first one but we knew something was up, so Google saved the day for us figuring out how the scam worked.

Andy D

About 10 years ago, at the last place I worked, the front counter lady got an order over the phone for a couple hundred banners, via a service for the deaf, not sure if they're still doing that one.
I guess the scammer would use a piece of equipment to type a message that would go to an American service & they would call the business and relay the message.. probably so that you wouldn't
see it's an out of the country number and you wouldn't hear their accent. Funny thing was: I told the front counter lady it was a scam & she got mad & wouldn't believe me, so I had to print off a couple post from
sign sites like this one, where people were talking about that scam and take that to the business owner... and the lady got even madder, she didn't realise I probably saved her job.

JetPress

All we get are the obvious fake emails that we just discard and delete. It's mostly strangely worded sentences that eventually starts throwing in some random characters. It's as if a bot is pretending to be human but is malfunctioning mid sentence.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Yea....just a waste of time all around. Years ago I had a client fall for it. We agreed that They paid the cost of the banners at least on my end but it was a costly error on their part for falling for the scam.

Marie

The one I got yesterday was for Covid 19 safety precaution banners. They even included an file set up to scale - which threw me at first - but then they wanted to use their on shipper to pick up the order - soo BYE BYE!

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
All we get are the obvious fake emails that we just discard and delete. It's mostly strangely worded sentences that eventually starts throwing in some random characters. It's as if a bot is pretending to be human but is malfunctioning mid sentence.

I think they do this on purpose, like the other cat fishing scams - I get the feeling they don't want suspicious or savvy people to answer at all, only people who are genuinely easy to fool.

SameDay Signs

Crappy situation but i love how you handled it....Your eating it somewhat because you are giving at cost or half or whatever but at same time are helping customer in end by not printing all of them...The Fact the you work with them and try to help them is what makes a good company. I know to many that would print them all and be like here you go to bad....so is nice to see someone out there still runs the business the right way, atleast in my eyes