• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oil or Acrylic Latex?

DigiPrinter

Hello all -

I have a project coming up that has a sizeable print run (for me at least) with an application to AC grade plywood. I'll be using 180Cv3-10 vinyl and the graphics need to be in place for 2 years (it's an interior project). My question is whether to use an oil-based enamel or acrylic latex paint for the plywood? Also, is it necessary to prime?

My main concern, for obvious reasons, is adhesion failure. I went to SW and they told me to use a water-based latex, but I don't know if that is the right route to go. I'll need to buy (3) 5 gallons buckets for this project (and that's only for one coat) and would like to have some confidence in the end that I'll have a lasting install.

I know this subject has probably been beaten to death but any advice would be appreciated. I know Ronan has been thrown out quite a bit but is there another brand that might be equally suitable? Again, I'm going to be buying several gallons to get this job done and want to keep the costs under $1M ;-).

Thanks,

Mosh

interior, needs to only last two years. Latex for sure. Have you considered pvc or another colored plastic....save all that painting and probly look better than plyboard.

darby07

interior, needs to only last two years. Latex for sure. Have you considered pvc or another colored plastic....save all that painting and probly look better than plyboard.

Agreed. Painting the boards sounds like a headache, assuming you'd need to paint both sides and the edges. May I ask why you're using such an expensive vinyl? Just for the sake of reposition-ability?

DigiPrinter

Only need to paint one side. Painting is not my favorite thing to do! I would love to use pre-finished MDO (or another substrate) but the ac grade plywood is being installed by others and is their expense. I'm OK with some extra labor and expense to insure a lasting end result. As far as material, it needs to carry a class A fire rating and I'm OK with the costs of the material (I'm also profiled for this vinyl).

darby07

Like mosh said, latex is the way to go. Lightly sand, prime and paint the wood and you'll have a nice paint-to-substrate adhesion. Apply the controltac on there and it should stick and won't go anywhere!
Best of luck on the job!