• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ok, can't figure it out, need help with photos

Hollidark

I've been using the same SP540 since mid 2006 and have worked thru, fixed or replaced every problem I've ever encountered, proudly. With the help of this forum of course.:thumb: But this ongoing issue with photos is about to give me an aneurysm. I've read and tried what little I can find but nothing seems to work for me. See the pics. Doesn't matter what profile or material I use nor if run it thru adobe or corel, the shadows or dark areas print "weird". What you would think would be the darkest area of the print comes out grey at best. Am I missing something easy or is it like a Roland rep told me years back, "it's not a photo printer"? Note that my Epson 7600 24" that I use for screen separations does not have this issue. Thanks!

Attachments

• Source.jpg
    Source.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Test.jpg
    Test.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 74

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I've seen this before many times, and it's almost always in an area that is dark blue or a tone thereof...

From my experience and a bit of research the cause is, apparently, a combination of a level of GCR that has been applied to the image in conjuction with certain RIPs inability to properly rip the ink levels for those tones.

Is that a customer-supplied image? Perhaps they might have the original "un-tweaked" version that you could run a test with.

Tovis

Are you running this in RGB, LAB, or CMYK? What is your rendering intent for raster images?

Bly

This was a major problem for me in Onyx until I started using advanced ink limits and setting black ink compensation to 3 or 4.
So yes it's a RIP problem - not adding black to four colour shadows to increase density.

JoshLoring

JoshLoring said:
Looks like a profiling issue.

Actually. I know it's a profiling issue. Need to calibrate your computers and printer to be synchronized. I can print that image all day from versaworks on a roland with no issues.