• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Okay Bob, I've got to know....

Pat Whatley

Since you said this...
2. I know why there was an equatorial trench around the death star in the first Star Wars production.

I've spent HOURS trying to figure that out and I'm not even a Star Wars fan. The only thing I can guess is because of the difficulties in lining up the mold halves. The trench was an easy work around for hiding the seam between the two halves.

So....why's it there Bob?

Mosh

Splitting the station into two equal hemispheres was a huge equatorial trench approximately 503 kilometers in length for the first Death Star and 2,827 kilometers for the second Death Star. This area of the station housed most of the major landing bays, drive thrusters, sensor arrays and tractor beam systems. Halfway between the equator and each pole were two supplementary trenches. The Death Star was divided into 24 zones, 12 per hemisphere, each controlled by a "bridge". To further organize the immense amount of activity aboard, there were specific "sectors" denoting function. These included the General, Command, Military, Security, Service, and Technical sectors.

weaselboogie

Mosh took that from starwars.wikia.com , but I'm with pat... I was under the impression that there was more significance behind the recessed equator. I mean, you could probably put the landing bays, drive thrusters, sensor arrays and tractor beam systems ANYWHERE. Maybe bob might have more of a logical reason why the divide was recessed.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Since you said this...

I've spent HOURS trying to figure that out and I'm not even a Star Wars fan. The only thing I can guess is because of the difficulties in lining up the mold halves. The trench was an easy work around for hiding the seam between the two halves.

So....why's it there Bob?

You have it about right. Because the fellow who was charged with making the main model of the death star, one Colin Cantwell, was given two hemispheres of styrofoam and couldn't get them to properly join up into a passable sphere. Hence the trench to hide the mis-match.

At least that's what he told me way back when.