• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Okay, so who figured this one out............??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, we were given specifics on doing some wall lettering. The company wanted us to put some phrases on a few walls at different stores. They told us all of the particulars and this wasn't our first time doing these, so we had a pretty good handle on what to do. To prevent extra costs on our end, I requested they send photos of the walls in question, so I could quote accurately. This way, I didn't have to take a day for some surveys, when their people were already there. They did this and I quoted it and we got under way. All the provisions were made, shelving moved where needed and everything went like clockwork...... until the last place. :Oops:

Seems at this place, where there were no shelves a few weeks ago, some shelving was installed recently and bolted into the floor with some cart guards installed for added protection. Did I mention, there were shelves in place where our ladders were supposed to be ?? After a few phone calls and yelling back & forth between their VP, Supervisors and store managers, someone didn't do their job properly. Obviously, no one took responsibility, but nonetheless, we couldn't finish as anticipated. We did nothing wrong, but we had to leave yesterday to re-group and take other tools along and more man-power.... in this case girl-power for today. Now, they're complaining that they have to pay a second trip and now a second person to get the job done. Yeah, so what's your problem ?? You didn't tell us of this new situation you created and didn't let us know about. Then the VP says, Oh I forgot about that, I never thought of it. Yeah well, so it'll cost the company more money. Can you give us a discount ?? We'll see.

This happens from time to time and they're always good for it, but I want to save them money by not gong out and doing little surveys every-time they want to change something here or there. They continue to do sets differently, but they don't make notes of it, when something like this comes up. If we can't count on them with accurate details, then we're going to have to go back to doing it for them. That'll add $100's to their bottom line in some cases as they are located in 5 or 6 states. Some driving distances are 4 or 5 hours one way.

How do you tell someone in order to save your company money.... it's their responsibility to take accurate pictures and measurements without insulting them ??

:rolleyes:

Billct2

Wouldn't have mattered in this case anyhow, right? If you'd gone out for the surveys you would have seen the same thing they sent you, no shelves.
Maybe a checklist to send the store manager (copy to the VP) a few days before the job to specify what you are expecting when you get there.
They'll probably still screw up occasionally but you'll have double the proof for the added costs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't have mattered in this case anyhow, right? If you'd gone out for the surveys you would have seen the same thing they sent you, no shelves.
Maybe a checklist to send the store manager (copy to the VP) a few days before the job to specify what you are expecting when you get there.
They'll probably still screw up occasionally but you'll have double the proof for the added costs.

Yeah, I forgot, I left that part out. Last week the Director of Advertising sent an e-mail out to all the stores and personnel involved to make sure all areas were clear or at least be temporarily cleared for our ladders on Tuesday March 24th for us. Gave our company name, the employees names and when and how long we'd be there. Any questions or problems , please notify him immediately. When we got to this store, they said they didn't understand the instructions. Huh ?? That's the part about any questions, please notify him. THEN.... another email was sent out Monday of this week, reminding them all again. Nothing, no response. :noway:

Billct2

Yep

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 80

jfiscus

Rap Master
Exactly as you stated it: "it's their responsibility to take accurate pictures and measurements"

Put that along the bottom of every quote that measurements and photos were not taken by your team, something to the effect of:
"All photos and measurements for this project are as shown above, and were provided directly by (you) the customer. If there are any changes or incorrect measurements from what are shown here we will need all changes sent to us prior to approval of this quote. Any changes occurring after approval will incur additional charges."

fresh

We have limited experience with this, but I can tell you what has worked for us in the past.

We have the client tape a regular ol' sheet of paper to the wall, and then ask them to take a straight-on picture. We also ask them for measurements, and we are able to confirm their measurements by scaling the image based on the standard 8.5x11 sheet of paper. I then send them a proof that has all the dimensions called out, so they can verify sizes, placement, etc. Luckily we've never had a problem working this way, but most of these clients were pretty small operations. The person doing the measuring was the person ultimately responsible for the outcome.

If the client is not willing to work with you on this, why not just send them an invoice for the initial site visit? You can't go out and measure until you at minimum get a PO for the site visit.

TXFB.INS

Exactly as you stated it: "it's their responsibility to take accurate pictures and measurements"

Put that along the bottom of every quote that measurements and photos were not taken by your team, something to the effect of:
"All photos and measurements for this project are as shown above, and were provided directly by (you) the customer. If there are any changes or incorrect measurements from what are shown here we will need all changes sent to us prior to approval of this quote. Any changes occurring after approval will incur additional charges."

we also have a similar disclaimer with the added "exact installation time will not be know till AFTER all work is completed."

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I would have moved the shelves with a crowbar and maybe a 10lb sledge, in and out on schedule - no charge for the extra service.

wayne k
guam usa