• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Okay, what's it gonna take to..............................................

Like as is, or more sign content ??

• Total voters

Johnny Best

How about a new logo?

Attachments

• newlogo.jpg
    newlogo.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 122

Stacey K

I like making signs
I wasn't referring to actually posting up a picture of a layout or any particular customer's designs, but more how to appraoch some of the things, such as negative space, left/right spacing, color combinations that work or don't work, viewing distance(s), when to insert this or that and when not to, how to utilize type styles to their fullest and why some seem more acceptable for some industries and others to other industries. Maybe we could have exercise classes and not with a stationary bike or dumbbells..... we already have them. Like mentioned a project maybe of the week, cause not everyone is constantly around and might need some time to get back to things here & there.
Those are exactly the things I would like to see talked about. I would be much more interested if there's a visual attached. Like below...why is one better and which one for a road sign, and why, etc. I've tried to follow some discussions on fonts and I lose interest since I don't know the fonts off hand. If you are going to talk about Helvetica vs. Futura...I gotta see an example of both on a sign to match the explanation. Or how to use the family correctly on a sign...I hear about it but would make more of an impression if I could see it in a real life (or fake life) example. If that makes sense?

1644343775452.png
1644343843472.png
1644343817421.png

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Those are exactly the things I would like to see talked about. I would be much more interested if there's a visual attached. Like below...why is one better and which one for a road sign, and why, etc. I've tried to follow some discussions on fonts and I lose interest since I don't know the fonts off hand. If you are going to talk about Helvetica vs. Futura...I gotta see an example of both on a sign to match the explanation. Or how to use the family correctly on a sign...I hear about it but would make more of an impression if I could see it in a real life (or fake life) example. If that makes sense?

View attachment 157780 View attachment 157783 View attachment 157782
I'm partial to the 3rd option.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I still page through these books to get ideas but you can only page so many times. I like Boudica's idea of an open project!!! To keep it less personal you could send your layout (good or bad, tricky ones are fun too) via PM and the OP can create one general post with a few chosen that might scream good, better and best. It might be a fun way to learn, like a test, who can catch what's right and wrong - and why.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
How about a new logo?

Kind of Dr Strangelove meets monsters' Inc. Pablo Ferro had seriously cool typographical skills, and just realised he did the titles for Stop Making Sense. Not great for a billboard at 65mph.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Alright, here's one. We all talk about it, but we could discuss people like this who send this over as an editable vector file.

101 aid.jpg

Humble PM

There was (is) a quirk in Photoshop that set the default for image size to pixels/cm, so persons would send me ditmap files to print 6.5 times too large. Recent show, one of the artists confused output dimensions, cm rather than mm. Sent me a set of 21GB 16bit files. For 8x10" prints.
Strangely, the rip s#@t itself when I chucked the file over. My mistake, downloaded the files, and went to make a pot of coffee when I set the queue up.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I don't have it anymore, because it was on my phone and I deleted it... but I had a guy send (text) me a horrible picture of a frog tattooed on his leg "Can you put this on my van?" He was a strange doofus, and ghosted us after I produced his van graphics. And no, I didn't use the frog on his leg. He did approve the artwork I did lay out, as well as the cost. I think He was licking "special" frogs.

Humble PM

Oh I have a treat for you! Our filler is integral into the frame these days thanks to signgineer. It just better be a lit sign to cover the cost vs stick building something.
I've been watching too much engineering pron recently, that almost made sense. I don't have a welder, or metal decent metal cutting facilities, but would Scotch tape work? And, where can I get his tape dispenser from?

I've got a poster from gemini with about 40 of the standard fonts. 90% of the time someone's asking for a font, it's on this poster. Now whether or not I know the name and can point to it is a different issue, but after 15 (holy hell closer to 20...) years of pulling font names from it, I'm starting to remember them...

As a kid, I used to get Letraset catalogues from the local graphics design store. No idea what happened to them, but I miss them.

Sorry, been a long month, settled too far into a nice Navarra. Bed.

Last edited: