• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OKI M-64 Warranty FAIL!!!!

Boss Wraps

So,

We purchased a brand new OKI M-64 just under 2 years ago.
Purchase came with a 3 year warranty.
7 months ago we had some nozzle drop out on 2 colors. Dealer ended up replacing 4 heads for this. (Honestly have no idea why 4 heads needed to be replaced but this was their call).
The day after they replaced the heads we noticed that the printer could no longer produce a solid color print across any media. Mainly happens in grey, tan, and blues. There is a color shift every 10" or so from right to left.
Dealer has looked at the machine multiple times and is at a loss.
OKI has sent techs out multiple times and cant seem to find the underlying cause of this.
After 7 months of back and forth and another head replacement they have decided to tell us that this is just how this printer prints and that we need to print on a "High Quality" print mode to minimize this issue.
One problem with that is that we used to print on our standard print mode without this issue.
The other problem is that even on a "High Quality" print mode the color shift is still extremely noticeable.
I have dated samples and actual products showing it used to print fine up to a month before they first started working on it. I also have rounded up samples from other vendors showing that they can print a solid color prints in the same mode.
I would think that standing by your product would be easy but apparently they would rather not.
Attaching a few examples of what OKI considers the norm for its printers on a standard quality mode. The side by side prints are of the same color bars slit down the middle and overlapped. They are supposed to be the same color all the way across like they used to be.
Has anyone else had a warranty issue like this?

Albion

We had a W-64 and also had problems with the heads failing and not being able to print a solid light grey without vertical banding.
We replaced the magenta head in Nov 2018 only to have it fail in again July 2019. Oki would not cover it. So we dismantled the printer and sent it to recycling.

Boss Wraps

It shows in tans and blues as well. I stopped printing most of our jobs on it because of this.
We have wasted so much time and effort trying to get them just to come out and address.
They know its not working properly. Its under warranty. They should just replace the machine.

Attachments

• IMG_3611.JPG
    IMG_3611.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_3612.JPG
    IMG_3612.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3615.JPG
    IMG_3615.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 279

ikarasu

Oki support is garbage.

We had a H2-74s. a year ago. The capping station died... A small plastic cog got stripped... We got charged $6000 for a new one because they couldn't replace it.

After that... All heads died on our machine. A tech came from Japan and said they all died due to age... At the exact same time. that the lifespan is 5 years...which we just hit.even our 6 month old head had died, but he couldn't explain that. They wanted 35,000 to change all heads. We bought a latex printer and we've been extremely happy with it.

It soured us Away from solvents... it I'm starting to learn more towards Oki just sucks.

CL Visual

This is a dealer issue more so than an oki issue. I have a few m-64's and have had great luck. I print just about everything on quality mode just to make sure it's perfect.

I had a similar situation with Mutoh on a UV printer and the dealer and manufacturer are total trash.

You need to dig into your dealer you bought from. They are responsible for fixing the issue and they should be fighting for you and dealing with oki.

Boss Wraps

Oki support is garbage.

We had a H2-74s. a year ago. The capping station died... A small plastic cog got stripped... We got charged $6000 for a new one because they couldn't replace it.

After that... All heads died on our machine. A tech came from Japan and said they all died due to age... At the exact same time. that the lifespan is 5 years...which we just hit.even our 6 month old head had died, but he couldn't explain that. They wanted 35,000 to change all heads. We bought a latex printer and we've been extremely happy with it.

It soured us Away from solvents... it I'm starting to learn more towards Oki just sucks.

We were so happy with the quality until this all started. Very disappointed in the current result.
Ive heard great things about the latex printers. Maybe somthing to look into for us as well.
Thanks for the reply on this!

Tomas Novak

Dear all,

we have a similar problem like Boss Wraps. Horizontal stripes in colors like grey and blues. Stripes in HQ are cca 9cm. We tried to mix heads without results. Printer is new (E-64s). Tried different materials (most vinyls), different resolutions, different temperature. Humidity and temperature is normal. Solid colours are stable. What do you suggest?

Attachments

• 071082e3-5a5d-4b58-bca0-1ad1452b26da.JPG
    071082e3-5a5d-4b58-bca0-1ad1452b26da.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 226
  • bd1acf28-5de1-44ea-944f-118d44531e7d.JPG
    bd1acf28-5de1-44ea-944f-118d44531e7d.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 238

Boss Wraps

Take a trip to Dallas next week and have a chat with them...all hands are usually on deck at major trade shows. I would not make a stink in their booth. I’d pull one aside and set up a chat.
I wish I had the time right now to take these trips to the conventions! I was messaged that someone here spoke to the OKI reps Ive been dealing with that were there in Dallas. Supposedly the issue is being looked at "again". We will see. As of now I have yet to hear back from them still. Even after multiple requests for more information on how they want to proceed. Their last communication was that the machine is running up to their specs. Would really hate to have to escalate this but we will if I have to. We will see.....

Boss Wraps

Dear all,

we have a similar problem like Boss Wraps. Horizontal stripes in colors like grey and blues. Stripes in HQ are cca 9cm. We tried to mix heads without results. Printer is new (E-64s). Tried different materials (most vinyls), different resolutions, different temperature. Humidity and temperature is normal. Solid colours are stable. What do you suggest?
Sounds similar to what we are dealing with. Our variance in color isnt as drastic as that image though. Weve tried different heat, materials, profiles, even rip software and the same thing happens. I honestly dont know what is causing this issue. All I know is that the machine is under warranty and it should be addressed with urgency from the manufacturer.
Sorry your dealing with this as well...

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
This is a dealer issue more so than an oki issue. I have a few m-64's and have had great luck. I print just about everything on quality mode just to make sure it's perfect.

I had a similar situation with Mutoh on a UV printer and the dealer and manufacturer are total trash.

You need to dig into your dealer you bought from. They are responsible for fixing the issue and they should be fighting for you and dealing with oki.
Good answer Chris.
It appears from your pics light cyan is dropping out. Turn on Color Stripe in CP manager so you can see exactly what’s dropping

Boss Wraps

Hi Chris.
Im glad you mentioned you have good print quality with this model. It helps make my point that these printers can produce good prints. The last response from the OKI tech was that this is normal for this printer and that he has never seen one not print like this.
I believe we will be going the legal route on this to the dealer and to OKI.