• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ol-l-l-ld 4B project

RakerTooth

Hey all. I'm new here, my name is Jim. Got a glitch with the ol' plotter, but first, man, those are some :cool1: smilies. I've long had some ideas for custom smilies, but hey, that can wait.

A freind on another forum told me to come here and look for a guy called plotter doctor(?). I figure I might as well start here. I have a couple friction feed plotters I use when I need vinyl and such, but I also have this 4B. It worked fine, but I always used it alone, even though it has one of those interface boards in it, with a cable for an old mac. I decided to research the subject, and try to hook it up to a vintage computer, so that I would have a punched plotter. There's more to that part of the story* but I'll get right to the problem. I had the "board" thing out, to read the fine print, it was only velcro'ed in. I left it out for a few months, but when I finally got around to putting it back in, all I get is the message "error 14". I've done what I can, but still no-go.

*I was researching on line, and actually found the guy that made the board units. He still has 6 left, @ $600 each. He said I have the earliest model made, that it would work with Mac or PC. All I would need to do is change to the other cable, he still had one for $10, plus $5 shipping. Wel-l-l-l, too cool, right? The guy was really helpful, sent a number of emails regarding drivers and what not. So I thought, "you know, this guy's time is worth more than a measley fifteen bucks, so as a token of my appreciation, I sent $50, told him to keep the change, as a show of my appreaciation. Well, the part never comes, so I go to the post office and ask them to check the status of the international MO I sent. It was uncashed after months. So I got a refund on the MO. I wrote to the guy, and asdked if I could send the exact amount, but no reply. I asked in another e mail if he could tell me the specs of the cable, so I could make my own.
Still no reply. I must've offended the guy. So now, if I get the 4B running with the card, I'll have to use a vintage Mac. I think I already have the computer, with an OS, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc. My wife was at a thrift store, had no idea that I was working on a vintage Mac project, and brought home an unused Cd she bought for something like $2. It was Corel for Mac. A more perfect find did not exist!. So I think the thing is ready to go, save the driver, I was told I could use a "generic"(?) driver, which from my understanding would be something from an old HP pen plotter. No problem there, but I'm wondering if the Mac driver would be different than the PC. Stands to reason, but does the old Mac OS have drivers in it like say, Win '98?

Sorry to "talk your ear off", I just get a kick out of these old machines, it's about as much hobby as work. I am a full time sign guy, I just do a lot of paint, and other stuff.

Thanks for any help,
Jim :thankyou:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Plotter Doctor is a plotter repair outfit with locations in California and Arizona. Here is a link to their website.

In the late 1980's and early 1990's there were a number of interface cards brought to market to allow driving a Gerber 15" plotter (including the 4-B). The drivers were usually supplied with the card and on the PC I think it was just a generic HPGL driver that was also capable of dealing with the additional requirements of a tangential toolhead.

The most popular one was from CadLink, who is a merchant member here and also publishes the SignLab program. Gerber also offered one called the LMK which stands for Lettering Machine Kit. I still use one to drive both my older 15" and 30" Gerber plotter ... but I run it from the supplied drivers that come with Gerber's Omega signmaking software.

These cards came in two varieties. The better ones like the LMK card, actually interface with the console motherboard and function to provide an outside signal to be processed through the original electronics. As such they generally run smooth and quiet and without problems. The third party boards would do little more than pick up power from the motherboard and provide you a place to plug in the plotter. Most of those had problems with speed, noise, chatter and whatall.

You will not likely find a driver included with either Corel or the Mac that will handle the requirements to drive the plotter correctly. You may find someone who understands what is needed here or through The Plotter Doctor though that can lend a hand.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Jillbeans

Jim, in my Gerber book that came with the 4B it lists Error 14 as:

Pen lift axis unable to find its home position due to mechanical/electrical failure.

Is your theta belt OK?

Fred, I can't remember how to plug my LMK module back into my old 4B. I am now using a 4E.
Love.....Jill