• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Old Bank back lit sign to be replaced with new liquor store info

Ronda

My customer has asked me if I can make the new double sided sign for his new store. The old acrylic is in the box still, just turned around so it shows blank. Each sign is 37" tall by 9' long. I found a supplier near me (45 minutes) that can cut it to size, but I have to go pick them up their truck won't haul that length. This sign is on the ground, he suggested polycarbonate or acrylic. Which would be better?

The sign itself is one color black (white acrylic is what I am basing everything on. ( My printer is not up and running yet so I will be cutting the vinyl.) My question is, I do want translucent vinyl for the logo correct? I am the one that has a printer that was shut down for 4 year to move. I am still working on bringing it back and I do have the time to do this another way if it is better to print.

The advise I need is How can I tell if I have translucent black vinyl? I moved a bunch of my stock and it was never labeled very good as I never bought full rolls of anything except what I used all the time. Is there some telltale sign that I am looking at translucent vs regular vinyl?

What is the best way to do this sign? I've attached the logo, text will be added to the sign as well. And yes the logo need cleared up.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• liquor vault.jpg
    liquor vault.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 120

Mr.Signboy

There is no translucent black. You can use any black you want, but it will be easier to find one that doesn’t have a paper backer if you’re going to install it wet. Use a cast black and it will last longer.

MikePro

with that gradient in the artwork it would be easier to use a printer, but black vinyl will do just fine if you can simply convert the gradient into a halftone pattern or omit it altogether.

Billct2

If sign is on the ground susceptible to damage use polycarbonate and if you want to match that logo order black print on translucent white
You are also going to have rearrange the logo to make it work on that size background

visual800

I would not use acrylic I would use lexan, there is a black translucent but it sucks I would just use regular hp black. Translucent black just doesnt look good to me

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would use regular black. If you want the gradients in there you can just send the print to signs365 on printed vinyl with a contour cut and then use black cut vinyl for the words below.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
There is no translucent black. You can use any black you want, but it will be easier to find one that doesn’t have a paper backer if you’re going to install it wet. Use a cast black and it will last longer.

Had a design firm's "boy wonder" insisting that the black translucent I used (it was really matte black, but whatever) on the faces of the push-thru copy on their sign should light up black. I was very calmly explaining that the translucent black that the vinyl manufacturer's sell isn't actually translucent, and that black can't be lit. After he kept pressing, I started getting a bit more aggravated (but still managed to keep an even tone) and referred him to the dictionary definition of the "color" black (this was pre-internet), which was the absence of light or something very similar. Dude still kept arguing with me.
We charged the company to remove the vinyl and put new vinyl on that- guess what?- still didn't light up black because that's not a thing. Dude kept complaining and was in our office, raising hell with the salesperson and pointed to the color sample on the wall (a selection of "stock" translucent colors) and was nearly foaming at the mouth, ranting that he wanted "THAT LIGHTED BLACK RIGHT THERE!!!" Turns out, he was too stupid to identify 3M's Duranodic Bronze by its name (even though, you know, it was right under the color swatch- just like it is in the swatch book we'd provided him to choose his colors from).
We charged them again for removing and redoing the letters.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the years, I've almost always used opaque black for backlits, but there have been those times, when you hafta use translucent black vinyl. Main reason is, if they want the darkness to show up from a distance away...... you need trans black. Next would be, if the customer is a little finicky and wants the same sheen on all the vinyl being used.

Ronda

Thank you all for the replies. Customer is not picky. The substrate supplier suggested Polycarbonate as it is 10x impact resistant. The old sign I'm pulling out is acrylic. Price difference between the two is $63 per sheet. My printer is up and running again. (Thank you Jim) So would that be a better option to print it on white translucent and cover the whole piece of substrate?

Susceptible to damage, the existing sign has been there for a long time and it wasn't damaged. But it does sit off the ground 2 feet or so with a lawn on one side, parking lot on the other.

Yes, I will rearrange the graphic and I have extra text to add. It just seem awful boring.....

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm not a fan of putting printing white trans on a white sheet. It always seems to make the white look gray.
I'm also sorta picky, so... you'd probably be fine.
I would definitely go with polycarbonate.

JBurton

Signtologist
I'm not a fan of putting printing white trans on a white sheet. It always seems to make the white look gray.
Not just that, it literally cuts down on however many foot/candles the sign is emitting. Print on clear for best results.
Yes, there is translucent black. Hold it up to a bright light.
Wut? I've seen smoke, dual color black, matte black (3m 3630 series), standard black, and duranodic (black 7c), and the only one of those that emit any light are the smoke and dual color. What trans black are you referring to?
Turns out, he was too stupid to identify 3M's Duranodic Bronze by its name (even though, you know, it was right under the color swatch- just like it is in the swatch book we'd provided him to choose his colors from).
To be fair, 3m lists it as:
Duranodic
3630-69
PANTONE Black 7 C
I'm a fan of this shade, our matthews paint mixes spot on to it, 90% black on the HP is also dead nuts close, but in no world would I call it black unless referring to it's PMS number, it's duranodic or bronze.