• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old but New

Hey fellas, I just recently purchased a mimaki ts300p-1800 and a practix ok12
I own a fabric store and have for the longest time wanted to get into fabric printing. so i came across a great deal on this used equpiment.

The printer has some issues with the nozzles, and for the most part it prints great. but there are times when it leaves blue streaks across the images. There are quite a few nozzles that are clogged but the nozzle recovery works well. but the streaks are causing me some issues.
im able to do some head cleaning and that clears it up for a little while but it returns after printing about 10 or so yards.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also, anyone in Oklahoma? I'm sure i'll need some technical support sooner than later on this printer.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Welcome! I don't have that machine (you are doing all that I would have suggested), but I can tell you there are several people from OK here - one of them will be saying hello soon I expect! :)

And I know everyone likes to see pictures! lol

This is my printer, mimaki ts300p-1800

20201113_154244.jpg

This is my little heat press

20201113_154255.jpg

And this is the problem i'm talking about.. this i didnt catch until i pressed onto fabric.
20201113_153954.jpg

20201113_152321.jpg
20201113_140434.jpg
20201113_125449.jpg

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
From who did you buy the printer and did they offer you any kind of maintenance or warranty package when you bought the printer? Normally when I see banding like what is present in the sample photos I would suspect a faulty print head. One of the ink heads might be going South. Obviously the first trouble-shooting measure is to run a cleaning procedure on the printer. But if repeated cleaning steps don't solve the problem the next step is to visually inspect all the ink lines or anything else visible to check for clogs or anything else that could be an issue. Then it comes down to print heads. They do wear out, and wear out in any kind of printer. We have a pair of HP latex printers we swapped out heads on just this week. And we have a Mimaki flatbed that has, so far, been holding up pretty well. Still, it's a fact of life we're going to have to shell out a good bit of money frequently replacing parts on these printers.

From who did you buy the printer and did they offer you any kind of maintenance or warranty package when you bought the printer? Normally when I see banding like what is present in the sample photos I would suspect a faulty print head. One of the ink heads might be going South. Obviously the first trouble-shooting measure is to run a cleaning procedure on the printer. But if repeated cleaning steps don't solve the problem the next step is to visually inspect all the ink lines or anything else visible to check for clogs or anything else that could be an issue. Then it comes down to print heads. They do wear out, and wear out in any kind of printer. We have a pair of HP latex printers we swapped out heads on just this week. And we have a Mimaki flatbed that has, so far, been holding up pretty well. Still, it's a fact of life we're going to have to shell out a good bit of money frequently replacing parts on these printers.

Thank you for the response. I purchased the equipment through globalgarage.net the previous owners were a company in Minnesota that did trade show signage. I purchased the equipment as-is with no warranty. they did disclose that the blue print head may need replacing. however after i did several cleanings and despite the test prints, it printed perfectly and did so for several thousand yards.

I guess i got lucky.
If I do need to have the head replaced, who would I ask for help? Beside the dealer, I have talked to them and since i purchased it used and they are a hundred miles away, they made it clear it would be very very expensive, i was quoted $8,000 for just replacing one head...

This is how the heads look after printing 30ish yards

20201113_161940.jpg

The streaks are much more visible here
20201113_162149.jpg

The test prints show a lot of nozzles are bad, despite multiple cleanings, washes and pretty much all I can throw at it from my limited knowledge
received_2564087997216681.jpeg

However despite it looking bleak, somehow it prints beautifully and has done so, its just that leaky blue ink....
received_1092290397889752.jpeg

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Sure if you know what you are doing. Easy it is not. Having a manual helps.
But for those streaks I would maybe investigate more if it's actually the head or something else if it comes randomly like that and recovers after.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
One of the things I like about our pair of HP Latex printers: it's pretty easy to change the print heads. Actually it's not much more complicated than swapping out ink cartridges. Our Mimaki flatbed is another matter. Jeez, the thing has to stay powered on continually just so it can cycle the inks to prevent lines from clogging.

OKC Fabric Printing said:
If I do need to have the head replaced, who would I ask for help? Beside the dealer, I have talked to them and since i purchased it used and they are a hundred miles away, they made it clear it would be very very expensive, i was quoted $8,000 for just replacing one head...

I would put in a call with other sign supply companies. Graphics Solutions Group has a location in Oklahoma City. Reece Supply has a location in Tulsa.

Last edited:
One of the things I like about our pair of HP Latex printers: it's pretty easy to change the print heads. Actually it's not much more complicated than swapping out ink cartridges. Our Mimaki flatbed is another matter. Jeez, the thing has to stay powered on continually just so it can cycle the inks to prevent lines from clogging.
I would put in a call with other sign supply companies. Graphics Solutions Group has a location in Oklahoma City. Reece Supply has a location in Tulsa.

Thanks, i opened the cover on the printheads just to see what i'm up against and quickly said NOPE... lol
I called GSG before, they dont want anything to do with my used printer, they want to sell me a new one and then offer me service, but only on Roland or Epson printers.
Reece supply is who i purchase my ink and supplies from but they dont offer any service on mimaki machines..

MikePro

quick google search yields result for dTech Group, which services mimaki printers in your area.
considering covid madness, i'm sure you can arrange for a service which allows a tech to walk you through the install & alignment remotely via video chat, to expedite your printhead replacement (which you most likely need one). its actually relatively simple, but it wears a bit on the soul when doing it for the first time....as there's plenty you can screw-up that could cost you more than another printhead.

the printheads are pricey, but they're designed to last for years and years.