• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

old d 610 just died after 30 years. need assistance guys

old610

so hey, brand new here. i have an old D610 24". has been my work horse for decades. Well, i called airmark and chatted with them. they can't help. So, I'm not exactly sure where the issue is, but when i move the arm to lower the wheels the head does not move to do it's initial measurement. I see the little blue switch connected to it that plugs into the motherboard. If material is not being fed and i lower the arm the fan turns on and it does with material being fed though for initial loading of vinyl. Problem is, when i try ad load material ... it looks like the front sensor is sensing vinyl but the back sensor does nothing. i can put my finger over sensor at the front of machine and the fan turns on to suck material flat, i try this with the rear sensor and nothing. I don't know if my problem is with the switch inside the side cover connected to the lowering arm for the wheels or if it is the rear sensor. but either way i want to keep using my summa. i may need to buy one if someone has one they's sell I'll probably use for parts. My most recent repair was pinch roller wheels from airmark for 50 bucks per wheel. Anyway, glad to be here.

FrankW

Is it a Summasign with display? Or one of the Summacuts without one (but, as far as I remember, they hadn‘t two sensors)?

If Summasign or Summacut with display:

There are procedures to check and calibrate the sensors which are described in the cutters user manual, which are still downloadable at www.summa.eu. Is the menu item SENSOR SETUP in the INTERNAL TEST menu. You need to half cover the chosen sensor, when starting the test the cutter moves the media back and forth, you will see on the display if the sensor reacts and if yes, if the trigger line will be reached (if not, you can adjust it). If the sensor is defective, you could try to get a new one (difficult for that old machines), or you can disable the sensor completely (then you need to have to look yourself if enough vinyl is in the cutter or not.

But, if you use a cutter not only for hobby, but as a workhorse, a newer used or new Summacut/S One could be a good choice.

old610

Is it a Summasign with display? Or one of the Summacuts without one (but, as far as I remember, they hadn‘t two sensors)?

If Summasign or Summacut with display:

There are procedures to check and calibrate the sensors which are described in the cutters user manual, which are still downloadable at www.summa.eu. Is the menu item SENSOR SETUP in the INTERNAL TEST menu. You need to half cover the chosen sensor, when starting the test the cutter moves the media back and forth, you will see on the display if the sensor reacts and if yes, if the trigger line will be reached (if not, you can adjust it). If the sensor is defective, you could try to get a new one (difficult for that old machines), or you can disable the sensor completely (then you need to have to look yourself if enough vinyl is in the cutter or not.

But, if you use a cutter not only for hobby, but as a workhorse, a newer used or new Summacut/S One could be a good choice.
yea it's a summa sign pro D610 24" .. has a little LED display on the right. .. in these pics i took the cover off the side. it is my workhorse and no other cutters can match the accuracy so i want to fix this one if i can. i looked at the new summa's. I'd like to get a new one but i don't have the funds for a new one and not going to buy any US cutter crap. the last pic i'm pointing at the sensor, but there is another one in the rear you can also see. i put my finger over that rear one and as i mentioned, nothing happens, so i assumed there is 2 different sensors without cracking open the bottom steel plate yet. regarding the plug, i unplugged it, it was not loose or off, just showing where the little blue switch in there plugs into motherboard.

Attachments

• IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1409.JPG
    IMG_1409.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 107

FrankW

I told you how to check and adjust the sensor, have you tried that?

For letting the cutter start loading media, the little blue switch needs to switch (you should hear a „click“-sound), and the back sensor should recognize media. If nothing happens if you cover the back sensor you need to check the sensor or you need to switch them off.

Attila Nagy

The switch wired directly to a Motorola Processor's port, and only 1 port could fail. I used to replace them on some motherboards, but in my cases it behaved like the rollers were in low position, so I could initialise the media by turning the machine off and on again.

old610

For letting the cutter start loading media, the little blue switch needs to switch (you should hear a „click“-sound), and the back sensor should recognize media. If nothing happens if you cover the back sensor you need to check the sensor or you need to switch them off.
ty Frank. I'll give it a good honest try.. and yes i do hear the blue switch attached to the arm click when i lower the wheels. with material not even loaded, the fan kicks on as if material is loaded, but of course the head does not move to measure because the front sensor knows there is no material loaded to measure.. i will do my best to try this sensor trouble shoot with the sensor you mentioned, thank buddy. I'll let ya guys know

old610

DLed manual. went through sensor test. all it does it bringyou into a menu where you can adjust the sensitivity of the front or rear sensor. I don't see where it tests if it actually functions. Unless the reaction of the machine while pushing the left and right arrow button to adjust sensor level is what tells you the sensor is doing anything.. Which i can say that while in the adjustment menu for sensor setup. after pushing the enter button (bottom right) the gold drive shaft turned slightly forward and slightly backward repeatedly. when i pushed the left or right arrow it stopped for that moment and started again back and forth repeatedly until i exited out of that level of menu. I did cover the sensor half way, but it doesn't say half way front to back or left to right. it looks to me like there are 2 sensors one left and one right inside both the front and rear sensor ports. So, pretty much don't know if i even did the test right because the manual doesn't give enough information. Any insight on this Frank? thanks buddy

FrankW

Front to back. When moving, it switches between covering the sensor and open the sensor. You should see a reaction level on the display. Covering half way from left to right doesnt make sense.

old610

Front to back. When moving, it switches between covering the sensor and open the sensor. You should see a reaction level on the display. Covering half way from left to right doesnt make sense.
what response? the asterisk on the left moves to the right in the display or more asterisks show up? thanks Frank the information is greatly appreciated

old610

UPDATE: i see the reachion.. upper left top layer of lcd.. you see an arrow pointing to the right it kind a looks like.. my lcs is pretty faded at this point 20 years later of working. lol ... so thanks again Frank!! so yea, both sensors reached. and yes i do hear the blue switch click when the arm lowers the wheels onto the sleeve, but idk if a click sound necessarily means the switch actually working unless the click means the circuit is closed. i don't have information on that part. but i consider this progress so far anyway.

FrankW

If the sensors react, and the level goes over the asterix for both sensors, you can unplug the switch from the mainboard, set some media, lower the pinch rollers and switch on the cutter. If the switch is really the problem, with the switch unplugged it should load the media.

old610

If the sensors react, and the level goes over the asterix for both sensors, you can unplug the switch from the mainboard, set some media, lower the pinch rollers and switch on the cutter. If the switch is really the problem, with the switch unplugged it should load the media.
beautiful.. ty Frank, I will do this test after work. i greatly appreciate it.. I'll keep ya posted on progress. idk about the asterisk part of your help.. the LCD screen is very faded.. i almost can not read anything on it.. but the lcd did react with something on the upper layer top left of lcd when i did the sensor test.. tho i couldn't clearly tell you what.. i looks to me like an arrow pointing to the right showed up when i covered the sensor with my finger.. but it could have been an asterisk.. couldn't see it well at all. i even went up into the contrast setting and tried to bump up the contrast, but that did nothing to help make the wording clearer. lol she's old.. been road hard for a couple decades.