Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

old font question

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by ucmj22, May 24, 2012.

1. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I found this old font, and think its pretty nice. I couldnt find it using what the font, and I think it might never had been made in to a computer font. has anyone seen this font before? I was thinking about creating a font using this as a base, what would the rules be on this? How do I know if its copyrighted?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Any font design is considered first and foremost to be the alphabet and is, therefore, in the public domain. The only thing that can be copyrighted, trademarked or patented about a font is its name (US Patent Court 1989) or the actual vectors from an existing font because they are mathematical formulas (US District Court 1998). Therefore, you are free to vectorize from scratch and choose whatever name you like.

3. ucmj22

Dec 10, 2009
    Awesome! Thanks Fred.

4. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Try "Opening Night" by Arthur Vanson, it's a Letterhead font.
    Of course it's not that font but it has a similar feel.
    Love....Jill

5. ucmj22

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks Jill. I still think I'll use this opportunity to try and increase my understanding of letterforms by trying to create a typeface out of this :D