• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old Fonts...........

gvgraphics

What are some good old school fonts and scripts for a locomotive sign I am working on.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Pro Image

The old Norfolk and Western type is a very slight varation on Times Roman.............

Thast all Ive done around here..........

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Clarendon, Fenice and some modified Times family from your computer library will be close.
Most of those things were lettered [or screened printed] long before computers were around... and were all done by hand. Most of the different railroads had their own painters and everyone just tried to get fancier than the next guy.... so the styles became more ornate with time. If you're trying to be authentic, you might have to combine some hand drawings or mutilate some fonts from your computer to capture the old look.

gvgraphics

Thanks for the help so far.

Not trying to be authentic, just give it and old school appeal. Don't want it to look trendy or modern.

Jillbeans

Try this site:
http://www.haroldsfonts.com/frontpage.html
Particularly "Jim Dandy".
Lots of these are freeware or very inexpensive, and lots have that old-style feel.
I used some of them on the Dixie banner in the member galleries section.
The Fontry also sells Becker and Atkinson alphabets, not expensive, and some are very appropriate for that style.
Love.....Jill

Richard Flint

Here's a couple of good "old school" typestyles that might work.......

Attachments

• Tuscan Typestyle.jpg
    Tuscan Typestyle.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Heavy Script Typestyle.jpg
    Heavy Script Typestyle.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 88