• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old Painter, Still Dabbling

olddawg

Hi Folks, My name is Steve. I'm a 58 year old sign painter, still dabbling in it, though very part time. I started back in 1980 before the computer things mucked it up (just kidding, relax ...). I did tons of truck doors, banners, and hand painted signs. I saw the computer thing coming in the mid-80s and figured I'd become a billboard painter. I said to self, "Self, they'll never paint billboards with a computer." Uh ... wrong! But in the meantime before that boomed I painted billboards in Oklahoma City for DonRey along with a lot of freelance signwork. Then did a ton of highway billboards in South Dakota. And landed in Chicago and painted billboards for 3M and a few others. Of course, I could see the move toward large vinyl computer generated stuff coming along. So, I bought a carpet cleaning company, then went to Bible School and have been a pastor every since, but still dabbling in sign work: old fashioned hand painted stuff.

As a side, I'm also an artist and sell originals, often in the $8K range. I live in Idaho. One more get to know you kinda deal. I also do voice-over work and narrate a couple of national cable hunting shows. So, if you watch that kinda thing, you've likely heard my voice.

This is probably not the right place to post this, so I'll find a proper category, but just in case someone wants to chime in here ... I'm wanting to do a 30" double sided 9' long sign. I used to do these in Redwood, but thought I would try sandblasting some sign foam, which I've never used. It's going to be double sided. The question I have is this sign is going to be suspended between a couple of posts and will have some ornamentation around the edges, so I can't put it in a frame for support. So, it will need to be supported from within. Can I sandwich a piece of plywood in the middle using glue? I'm thinking the wood would warp with time and would damage the foam. What might work better? And, what kind of glue? I'm assuming 3M spray glue, but maybe there's a better way to go.

Thank you for the help. Sometime soon I'll post some photos of my past work, just for fun. All the best, Steve

TimToad

Hey fellow old dawg. Another brush pusher here in the same age group but one who has adapted to many of the technological changes our craft has faced. Was an apprentice at Foster & Kleiser in Chicago in the early 80's and the youngest ever awarded a journeyman's card in our union local.

As for supporting a double sided HDU sign that size. I'd be more comfortable recommending a tubular aluminum frame. I'd then laminate your HDU to Alupanel with a urethane glue over the full surface. For the money a sign that size should command, using a degradable product like MDO doesn't seem like a worthy foundation.

olddawg

Aluminum Frame

Thanks Toad, You're likely right, but I have no idea on how to build an aluminum frame like that. Are you talking, like round tubing that would have to be bent into shape? Steve

TimToad

No, if you don't have welding capabilities, call one of your local welders who works with aluminum and get a simple 1"x1" square tube frame built with a couple of vertical supports in the middle evenly spaced over the length like this. Something that simple shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks tops. If your shape is not a perfect rectangle, you could make the frame smaller and glue in filler pieces along the edge to hide it, but at least you'll have that strength to be able to count on.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Simple square tube frame.jpg
    Simple square tube frame.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 100

olddawg

Aluminum Frame Support for Sign Foam

Hi Tim, As the blind man said to his deaf wife, "Ah, I see." Thank you. That will work methinks, with really good glue. And, that solves the problem of how to solidly anchor the sign to the posts, which are actually a couple of large natural stone pillars. I'll have some brackets manufactured which will bolt to the stone and extend out and bolt into the aluminum frame. That's very helpful.

Oh, one other thing. I called the sign supply company out here that I use on occasion and was told that they were out of sandblast mask, that the company that made it had a flood and they were not yet back into production. I haven't called other suppliers yet. Do you know anything about that? I think I have a partial roll of the old stuff I used to cut by hand buried in my garage somewhere ... hope I don't have to go trying to dig that out.

At a religious school, there was a sign by the bowl of apples that said, "take only one, God is watching." On the other side of the room was a large platter of cookies with a sign in crayon that read: "Take all you want. God is watching the apples."

Thanks again! Steve

knucklehead

How bout a 'slice' of 3/4 inch, pressure treated plywood, sandwiched in between the foam? Plenty of structural strength, and it'd be good for probably 20 years. Or, step up to real marine plywood?