• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old school sign painting advise

Johnny Best

www.mackbrush.com/product/masterstroke-bristle-fitch/
Paint the wall, make a scale drawing of the copy you want on there. go to wall, snap some level lines and with yardstick and vine charcoal, draw out your letters from your scale drawing, grab your Nova colors or one shot, fitch and start painting. You won't need a mahl stick, thats used to keep your hands off of wet paint. With a fitch your hand will be "pulling" the brush to form your letters. By the time you finish with that textured wall you will be real good at how to load your brush with paint. Good luck, wish I was closer and come help you do it, one of the great memories of life is hand painting a wall. Start a new career for yourself.
Hint: use Eurostyle or Microgramma for letters if you can, all the same stroke and just the same round corners, no S or O to worry or draw out since you will be a virgin on this one.

Southpaw1

Its nice to see someone actually wanting to learn wall dogging! Its surprising the amount of work I've been asked to do like this the past year, but It all comes in cycles as we've all learned. There's nothing like the permanance of lettering on the building, but the concrete formed brick is something that I agreeably would suggest a knock out panel over the old lettering. Hog hair brushes is the only way to go with that. There's lots of good advice so far, the best being that you should find an experienced wall dog that can help you. You can sure go with panels over the old sign but you may have a hard time attaching it depending on what's behind that concrete. That's a crap shoot I'd rather not take. Maybe someone knows who has worked there long enough, id ask. .

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Ya don't need a mahl stick on something that size. You're gonna be pulling as far as you can before dripping and then going back and filling in. Mahl stick will just get in your way. If you do paint, make sure you mix up some perfect matching paint of your background, cause there will be drips. I've already had drips go 10'... 20' down before they hit the wall.... according to how the wind's blowing.

I'm almost 60 now and those drips seem to be more of an issue than when I was younger.

Southpaw1

www.mackbrush.com/product/masterstroke-bristle-fitch/
Paint the wall, make a scale drawing of the copy you want on there. go to wall, snap some level lines and with yardstick and vine charcoal, draw out your letters from your scale drawing, grab your Nova colors or one shot, fitch and start painting. You won't need a mahl stick, thats used to keep your hands off of wet paint. With a fitch your hand will be "pulling" the brush to form your letters. By the time you finish with that textured wall you will be real good at how to load your brush with paint. Good luck, wish I was closer and come help you do it, one of the great memories of life is hand painting a wall. Start a new career for yourself.
Hint: use Eurostyle or Microgramma for letters if you can, all the same stroke and just the same round corners, no S or O to worry or draw out since you will be a virgin on this one.
Wish i was closer too! It'd be nice to share knowledge and push some paint!