• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

old vinyl

SobeGraphics

Hello guys Im new on here and had a ? im taking off some old vinyl that been sitting in Fl sun for over 4 years . i sprayed it with vinyl-off and let it sit for about 15mins . it lifted the 2 vinyl that was under but all the glue is still there . any help with this please thanks so much for any input ahead of time . BTW the sign is about 3' x 9' feet big let me know what you guys think I have about 6 to do . lol

:thankyou:

phototec

Depending on the type of adhesive, WD-40 woks good to remove adhesive residue, just remember to use another type of cleaner to cut (remove) the WD-40 after it is done doing it's job, so the NEW vinyl will stick to the substrate.

Welcom to the site :Welcome:

And Good Luck with your project

:smile:

SobeGraphics

Thanks guys for all the help im loving this site lol BTW Fred I order that steamer should be here monday cant wait to try it out once again thanks all of you for your help

VisionarySigns

We just removed a wrap that used Primer94 and there is primer everywhere. Any ideas on the best way to remove the primer? I've tried alcohol, mineral spirits and WD-40. It all softens it, but it doesn't come off on the rag. I've had to excessively scrub and try to get a squeegee or fingernail in the grooves and it is taking way too long. Any and all ideas are welcome.

VisionarySigns

Thanks. I did read that on their website, I was just hoping someone had encountered the same problem at one point and found a better solution. They are not exaggerating when they say, "Vigorous scrubbing may be required."

Mosh

We just removed a wrap that used Primer94 and there is primer everywhere. Any ideas on the best way to remove the primer? I've tried alcohol, mineral spirits and WD-40. It all softens it, but it doesn't come off on the rag. I've had to excessively scrub and try to get a squeegee or fingernail in the grooves and it is taking way too long. Any and all ideas are welcome.

I repeat...3M adhesive remover. Apply, and scrape with plastic blade. Repeat as needed.

Kottwitz-Graphics

+1.

I had to replace a 30" x 25' graphic on the side of a water tanker for a local fire company, and when I went and looked at it, the tanker was empty, and just messing with it, I picked the corner and thought " not a problem"...

When I went back to do the job a couple of days later, I started picking the corner, but it wouldn't budge, and I started using a heat gun. I worked for close to 4 hours, and only got half the graphic off. I went and bought a wallpaper remover, and removed the other half of the graphic in a little under an hour.

As far as old glue, I haven't found anything better than rapid remover. And vinyl off is a waste of money in my opinion.