• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Old World" still tops high-tech...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It's even older than "old school"...and since my dad's passing back in April, I've been working through the grief process by journaling with an "old world" hand-crafted Italian leather journal and a fountain pen (yep, the kind with wet ink). With a mug of freshly ground dark roast coffee, the multi-sensory experience has been therapeutic: the coffee, the smell of the leather...the scratch of the pen as the ink flows like a ribbon. I'll take that over an electronic gadget any old day. http://www.amazon.com/Cavallini-Jou...184&sr=8-1&keywords=cavallini+leather+journal

Attachments

• j.jpg
    j.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 92

HulkSmash

It's even older than "old school"...and since my dad's passing back in April, I've been working through the grief process by journaling with an "old world" hand-crafted Italian leather journal and a fountain pen (yep, the kind with wet ink). With a mug of freshly ground dark roast coffee, the multi-sensory experience has been therapeutic: the coffee, the smell of the leather...the scratch of the pen as the ink flows like a ribbon. I'll take that over an electronic gadget any old day. http://www.amazon.com/Cavallini-Jou...184&sr=8-1&keywords=cavallini+leather+journal

Tops new tech? No.

letterman7

It tops high tech in the way you're dealing with your loss. It puts things tangible; the scratch of a quill can be very therapeutic. It's a smart thing to do and it'll keep memories alive for as long as you need them. I wish I had thought of that when I lost my father at the age of 15..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We all deal with loss in different ways.

I lost my Mother in 1986 and still talk to her. I lost my Father in 2000 and still talk to him. I rarely go visit the grave, cause there isn't anything there but an empty shell...... and even that's probably gone by now. I tend to remember all the great and good times, along with all of life's lessons they taught me. They are a part of me and while being in my make-up as one, I still find the individuality of them both.

If writing is what gets you through, then so you should do this. It comforts you and makes you whole again.

I agree 1,000%.... there is no way any electronic device could ever do this for you. It is so disconnected and so very cold in idea. Kinda like watching cartoons. When you take the time and effort to do it by hand, for some reason, it simply reaches the soul in a way electronics can not.

:thumb: