• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Older gerber Edge question

Patchmaster

I'm looking at a Gerber Edge for $350
it's an "older clamshell type" with two intermittent streaks that come and go while printing. the seller says they almost went away after a cleaning.

I asked for total minutes and to print me a spot cobalt blue print.
I offered to pay the cost of the box and clips to ship it to me.

My question is, what model would the "old clamshell type" be and even if the head needs replaced is it still a bargain at $350?

thanks a bunch.
Bill

Tony Teveris

I should call Gerber (TechSupport) but I believe if it is a Edge LE, ( Serial number 492XXX to 499XXX ), it will have to come in for repair.

The older Edge Classic 665XXX to 666XXX and Edge Trunion 667XXX to 699XXX we no longer service these units.

threeputt

The older Edge Classic 665XXX to 666XXX and Edge Trunion 667XXX to 699XXX we no longer service these units.

Yeah, I was just going to say, that's going to be the problem. We have such a machine ourselves. Older clamshell model. The ceramic head went bad a few years back, actually about ten years I think, and the machine had to be crated up and sent back to New England. Cost was about $3000.00 if memory serves. But they did re-furbish quite a few parts and it's still going strong.

But we all know here, that when it goes on the blink next time, we'll not be fixing it up. There is a guy in California that still has parts I believe. I think he told me about a month ago that he bought up all of Gerber's parts stock. We used him recently to fix an older HS 15 plus we still use. If you need his contact info I can probably get it for you.

Good luck. The edge is a good little machine for what it is.

Patchmaster

not sure of the model at this point, I will check.

it looks like it opens from the front. I'll try to get a pic.

even at 3K or so for repair would it be worth it?

I've only got about 2-3K, at this point, to put into a printer for short run decals and thought that this might be doable but... I am a very patient man and can wait for deals to pop up. I missed a Edge 2 in perfect order @ $1200 so I know if I wait I'll find something ;)

my main business is in tees but am expanding into vinyl and signage as time and $$ allow. My wife has been hitting state fairs for years and she has me cutting decals like crazy for her with more and more requests for full color stuff.

Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can get a serial # and pic.

Bill

Patchmaster

Here are some pics and a bit more information on the printer.
it's still for sale @ $350 and am still considering it. After driving to pick it up I figure the total costs would be around $600.

after see the print examples and the idea that the head may still need to be replaced, is it worth the expense?

I'm told there is no set-up button to get the total hours.
no software
010106010405011611200806210b9e434f2411e9deec005c66.jpg

010112010212010411200806216a1630d904abb1f662002e3e.jpg

Picture 040.jpg

Picture 041.jpg

Picture 045.jpg

If I did get this it would involve a drive of approx. 500 miles. would NE1 have a set of head clips they would be willing to part with?
buy/loan ?

Last edited:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
That's one of the original models that open from the side. Trunion I believe.
Like Tony said they won't repair it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
That's either a Classic or a Trunion model. Definitely not worth the expense of replacing a print head. At the age it is at it is not a machine that you will be able to have serviced at anything like a reasonable expense for just about anything that can go wrong. I would look at it as worth no more than what you can get out of it before it needs a repair.

I am wondering what the balance of your setup is even if the unit currently works. Do you have software to drive it? Do you have a plotter that can cut the printed output? You could be looking at several thousand dollars to create a complete Edge printing system.

Service Sign Co

If the cpu board hasn't been replaced it's 635.00 I've replaces 2, The printhead is roughly 3,000 I ve replaced 1 plus foil motors. Shipping it back to Gerber is around 350.00 you need their box to ship it. I would contacy GSPINC to see if they still service that model. I have an Edge LE. iF it stops working again,its going to be spare parts. I believe there are people that work on them also other than Gerber,

Patchmaster

excellent comments and advice - thanks.
I think I'll pass on it.

my support equipment is a GX-24 along with different technologies for garment printing.

in my future is a vinyl printer, laminator and a new shop.
I'm concerned with an inkjet printer since I wont be using it every day, possibly not even every week and thought a thermal printer would be a better solution.

I'm a full time gimp (I can say that cause I am one ;) ) and can't take this biz full time and would like to build something that my kids can take over someday.
barring that idea I figure I can be productive instead of mooching off retirement.

thanks again for all your advice.

Bill

scellino

Yeah, I was just going to say, that's going to be the problem. We have such a machine ourselves. Older clamshell model. The ceramic head went bad a few years back, actually about ten years I think, and the machine had to be crated up and sent back to New England. Cost was about $3000.00 if memory serves. But they did re-furbish quite a few parts and it's still going strong.

But we all know here, that when it goes on the blink next time, we'll not be fixing it up. There is a guy in California that still has parts I believe. I think he told me about a month ago that he bought up all of Gerber's parts stock. We used him recently to fix an older HS 15 plus we still use. If you need his contact info I can probably get it for you.

Good luck. The edge is a good little machine for what it is.
I have an old gerber ... refuses to print ... Nos the arriving more data, I changed the serial cable but nothing to do, are seeking a similar buy as spare parts, you can help me ...??:thankyou: