• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Olympic signage and Dan Antonelli

mcgrawdesigns

The very first thing I thought of when I turned on the Olympics the other night was - "I wonder if Dan Antonelli had a hand in designing all of the Olympic signage?" Did anybody else notice all of the Apple Green and Blue everywhere? This is not a jab at Dan, nor am I making fun of him or his company, I am actually a huge fan of his work and refer to his designs frequently for color inspiration. But, those colors instantly made me think of him. Anybody else notice this, or just me?

Joe Diaz

That is actually a testament Dan's branding know-how. If you can see two colors used together and think of his company, that means he is doing something right.:thumb:

signmeup

If you go on 99designs.com just about everything is pale green and pale blue....usually in a circle made of two water drops or 2 leaves, or a combination of leaves and water drops. :rolleyes:

Billct2

What I thought of was the thread here about the Olympic logos...the Vancouver logo with the "StoneMan" was just about invisible. The kinda grunge "wave" wallpaper and the Olympic circles were everywhere, but hardly saw the "Vancouver" logo.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Dan is a designer who has his pulse on what is going on in design.

If Dan did do the signs, he would have to hire me because I would work for free (well, at least he should feed me) he wouldn't be posting here at all, he would be too busy dealing with that monstrous project.

I would kill to be an environmental graphic designer on an olympic game project. I worked with at a company that worked on the World Cup, and some of the people worked on the Los Angeles 1984 Olympics. I went to a SEGD seminar where the designers of the Salt Lake City games did the presentation, it was a massive undertaking that took many consultants who specialize in large sporting events (yes, there are sporting event sign/graphic consultants) Was interesting to hear how they pulled if off. I think the design was done in-house (similar to the Salt Lake City Games)

Dan Antonelli

Ha, this is pretty funny. Can't believe my secret gig has been exposed!

Seriously, so true how critical color choice is when it comes to branding. Whenever possible I always try and use colors that are not usually seen together or 'expected'.

Patrick46

This is exactally why I come here, or whenever I go to a panel jam or a letterhead meet, and especially when my SignCraft shows up each month...the FIRST thing I like to do is get lost in the portfoilos!

I LOVE to see the new ways people have been using shapes, colours, designs, etc. My favorites are the simple graphics and colours uses that make you say...Ah-Ha!!!! I see what they did here, (Dan and his staff rock at this stuff!) These get immediately entered onto my brains harddrive...filed under the 'great design/cool colour use/effective layout/awesome signjob' file. ALl my customers think I'm so damn brilliant...when in fact, everything I do has been squeezed outta this file, and manipulated to fit whatever it is I'm working on at the time.

I was sent a questionaire by a pinstriping magazine that wanted to do a profile article on me. One of the questions was: "Whom do you consider to be your biggest influences?" Well, (I never did send the stuff in), but the answer to that question has always made me laugh. I would have had to attach 3-4 additional sheets of paper with all the names of people that I thought were influencial to me and my work! I absorb ideas from folks everywhere, all the time...(which is why I'm HERE!)

One thing I thought I'd add to the Olympics discussion (on a similiar note)...is being that the games are being held in Western Canada...I'm surprised that Dan Sawatski wasn't called in to create some huge, crazy, bobsledding polar bear for the show. I absolutely DIG his work!!! Whadda creative person that guy is! (we're starting to push our business in the direction that his business is...building different, fun, big, projects.)

Jillbeans

I noticed the signs but I am noticing some of the oddball uniforms more.
Like the harlequin pants on the one curling team.
And how the USA snowboarders look like they are wearing flannels and jeans.
And I think if Dan A did the designs, they would have been nicer.
:)
Love....Jill