• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega 2.1

stonecutter

Hello,

My name is Kurt. I am a date cutter/monument design (builder), in Michigan. I currently use Omega 2.1. This version does everything and more than what I need for monument design.
I recently bought a used laptop computer, loaded properly with Windows XP. I am trying to load the software on to the computer but I am getting a 106 error. With a lot of searching on the net and the Gerber website, I read that it may be the disc drive unit. Gerber suggested, somewhere in their website, that since the software on the disc completely fills it up and that although the drive works, it may not work properly with a program that loads the disc up as 2.1.
Has anyone else had a 106 error while loading the software?
I do have the program loaded properly on another laptop that I use specifically for work, I was going to use this one as a back up.
Thank you for your help.
Kurt

hydo1

2.1 works on XP. I am using it now.

I don't 100% understand what the Gerber explanation means, but have you tried copying the disc to a USB drive and installing from that? Or maybe copying all the files from the disc to the hard drive and installing that way? At least you can find out if it is a disc drive problem.

stonecutter

Oh no! I thought Omega was a Gerber Scientific product. At least that's what is says on the manuals that came with the software.
Forgive me, I am not computer savvy, but I know enough to be dangerous and really screw things up sometimes...Haha!
I was informed that I had to use XP with 2.1. All my computers are loaded with XP. I know, I know, get with the 21st century! But, I am a newer company and still growing. I will eventually take the plunge to ugrade the software. Its just not in the budget right now.
Thank you for your response and suggestions though. I am going to figure out if it is a drive problem by using a USB drive.
What do you guys know about fonts?

stonecutter

Ok I found the problem. Looking around on the Gerber/Omega website I found an area where a technician mentioned a 106 error when loading 2.1. It was written that due to the program cd being nearly full with data, that some computers disc drives may produce a 106 error and the problem is with your drive. Although the drive will read other disc's, a disc that is completely full may show the problem with your drive.
So, I took the computer with 2.1 to the local computer store. We attached a USB disc drive to one of the ports and it loaded with no problems. So, the problem is with my drive.
I hope this helps others here on the forum. Maybe it's not the program, but sometimes it can be your equipment. I know I usually blame myself for not doing something right. It is not my first thought that the computer peripherals will ever have problems. Thank you for all your responses and suggestions.

Kurt