• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega 3.0 to Graphtec Plotter Question

rrjans

Please help if you can. Let me explain.......I am running Omega 3.0 from two different computers. Both have 9 pin (at the computer serial port) to 25 pin (at the plotter). Both serial cables look identical but cable A only works on computer A and likewise cable B only works on computer B. Both work individually. I want to connect the two computers via an A/B switch box to the one plotter. When I do this computer A works but computer B does not. I suspect the one of the serial cables is a null modem cable and the other is a "straight thru" serial cable (again they look identical 9 pin to 25 pin) and they each work individually. This does not make sense to me. Any ideas will really be appreciated. Thank you. Ron

rrjans

Tony, thanks for the reply. First I really don't know how to check the pin out of the cables to see if they are the same, but I have already determined that both cables work directly to the plotter on their respective computers but are NOT interchangeable but cable B does not work when going to the A/B Box. Any further thoughts? Thanks again.

round man

Are you using two separate cables from two separate computers to run the same plotter?if this is the case continue to use the working cable from each pc to the a/b switch,..then use a normal extension(straight thru NOT null modem) serial cable from the switch to the plotter.

edited to add,...you may have to switch off the plotter and reboot it to swap from one computer to the next in order for the pc to handshake with the plotter

rrjans

Round Man,
It seems the I did indeed have just a cable problem.....I did what you suggested and switched the cable. It worked and I am able to do what I initially intended. I just tried a couple of different cable till I found one that worked. I appreciate your advice it helped. Thank you, Ron