• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega 3, Windows 10 and Alienware :)

Jase

Well we have been using an Alienware desktop for the last 10 years, it has been excellent but I think it might be time to upgrade this machine to the latest Alienware. I guess we could upgrade to Omega 6 ( we have a few copies of 5 on other machines) but I like using Omega 3 with Illy CS3 as well. So are there any issues moving to windows 10 or is it fairly seemless? I guess I could just take out the HD and use it in the new machine?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

J

WildWestDesigns

Well we have been using an Alienware desktop for the last 10 years, it has been excellent but I think it might be time to upgrade this machine to the latest Alienware. I guess we could upgrade to Omega 6 ( we have a few copies of 5 on other machines) but I like using Omega 3 with Illy CS3 as well.

Do you have any machines capable of supporting a VM? Trying running a trial version of Windows 10 in a VM and see if those programs will install and run on Win 10.

So are there any issues moving to windows 10 or is it fairly seemless?

In my experience, have a new computer with a newer operating system is far more seamless then trying to upgrade an existing computer to a new(er) operating system. In my experience with Windows (which dates back to the 3.1 days), upgrading has never turned out well for me versus just getting a new computer with the desired OS on it. Fresh installs far better then upgrading, but they are more hit or miss compared to a new computer.

I guess I could just take out the HD and use it in the new machine?

More then likely that would break your install of your OS when it reads the new motherboard and processor and you'll have to reactivate it and it may or may not break program installations. I would deactivate Adobe at the very least. I don't know how Omega handles things. Rather it's a security device or registration or what. I don't use Omega.

Also bare in mind, in those 10 yrs, Dell has bought Alienware. That may or may not have an affect on your overall experience with it compared to your last purchase. I have zero experience with Alienware, pre or post Dell, but just something that I would throw out there as I have heard varying accounts of the end result of that purchase.

Or if you have install disks of XP with serial numbers, get a new computer that can support running a 32 bit VM and run XP with the software that you want via a VM. If you want to stay with your old workflow of Omega and CS3. I run my Windows through a VM on Linux rigs and as long as you have a properly equipped rig, this can work and work very smoothly. It takes a little bit to get used to, but it works and works well. At least for me.