• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OMEGA Dongle Copy

Hielorojo

Hello there, is possible make a copy("spare copy")from of the dongle to avoid damages,lost,etc?
Thank you in advance.

Marlene

Hello there, is possible make a copy("spare copy")from of the dongle to avoid damages,lost,etc?
Thank you in advance.

since the total purpose of it is to act as a sercurity device to protect against stealing the software, I would say no there isn't a legal way to copy it.

Hielorojo

Thank you for your answers, I understand you Marlen but if you dongle is Damage or lost, how can I get other dongle to run my Omega? Can I get other one from Gerber with the Serial Number?
Best Regards.

Marlene

Same reason you get 2 sets of keys/remotes with a vehicle.

Gerber sells the rights to run its software on more than one computer so wouldn't making extra copies of the dongle pretty much kill any hope of anyone paying for that? I don't have the answers to this, only guessing based on the purpose of the dongle. it isn't like a car as you buy the car and can do what you want with it, not so much with software. I guess I am just a play by the rules kind of person

Billct2

Yep, it's like Marlene says, one dongle per software license. If it's lost or broken they will sell you a replacement. I have heard of black market cracked versions but not sure if that's true.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
As I read this, making a copy of your dongle for backup purposes is not covered by the exceptions shown below unless you also obtain permission of the copyright owner.

Dongle emulation and backup legislation

We work according to Digital Millennium Copyright Act and its exceptions, that allows obtaining dongle for:

• copyright owners;
  • with permission of copyright owners;
  • classes of exceptions from DMCA prohibitions;

According to chapter 2 of DMCA there are exceptions permitting circumvention and development of dongle bypass solutions:

• For non-profit libraries, archives and educations institutions;
  • For Law Enforcement, Intelligence and Other Government Activities;
  • For reverse engineering purposes for person who has lawfully obtained a right to use the software for sole purposes to achieve interoperability and compatibility with other programs;
  • Computer programs protected by dongles that prevent access due to malfunctioning or damage and which are no longer manufactured or reasonable available;

You can read more about DMCA exceptions at:

Link to source.

zbo2

When I upgraded to Omega 4.0 there was a paper with the dongle from Gerber that suggested that you get damage insurance on it. They will charge you the price of a new program to replace the dongle, around 3500.00 if I remember correectly.