• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega & SignLab Dongle Conflicts?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm considering getting Gerber Omega. Does anybody run Omega on the same computer as SignLab 8? I'm wondering about possible dongle conflicts during bootup. Any answers?

I'm currently running an Omega Demo and there is no conflict with both programs running side by side. Will that change when an Omega dongle is introduced?

BTW, I'm running Win 7.

JB

Last edited:

signage

Jim I did at one time. I no longer use Signlab. If I remember correctly you have to install Omega first and use the latest dongle driver, which was the one in Omega.

James Burke

One more bit of information....

I've had issues in the past with a SignLab dongle conflict on my previous computer (Win XP) whenever I downloaded photos off a camera with a USB cord.

If I plugged in the camera and then started SignLab, it would give me a hasp error and then need to be re-booted before working again.

This occured every time the camera was plugged in to the USB port, but not when I inserted the camera SD card into the reader.

It hasn't been a problem with my new Win 7 computer.

JB

Tony Teveris

James, I would say it depends on your versions of Omega / Signlab. At one time we were leapfroging each other with the SafeNet (Sentinel) driver but I now believe SignLab as you mentioned uses a HASP key (bought by SafeNet) and Gerber still uses the Sentinel key. From the Windows Start menu select Gerber Omega 5.00 (I assume this is your demo software) and select Sentinel Config, a dialog should appear that tells you if the driver is installed and what version, if its 7.5 I think you will not have any issues.

James Burke

Thank you Tony. I'm running an Omega 4 demo and will also be using Omega 4 (CS).

I checked on the Sentinel config and it mentioned that there was no driver installed...I am assuming this was because it is currently demo software.

JB

Tony Teveris

To test things you can go to the SafeNet site and download the driver and install it.

There should also be one on the Omega 4.0 DVD. (Misc folder) you can install it separate from the general Omega install.

The one on the web site is the latest, one version ahead of the DVD version.

After installing it if your SignLab executes ok then you should have no problem with Omega, if things do not execute you can uninstall the driver.

I would do this before spending YOUR hard earned $$$

James Burke

I installed the Sentinel driver and SignLab still works like a charm. I don't have the Gerber dongle yet, but per my conversation with Tony Teveris at Gerber Scientific this afternoon, he said it's the driver that would be the primary cause if a conflict did exist.

Thank you Tony, you help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

James Burke

Update to this thread

I'm adding the content below that was originally posted on another thread earlier this week.

NEW CONTENT added 1-19-13:
I found no dongle conflicts between SignLab 8 and Omega 5 running on Win 7. I just got a copy of Omega 5 LS today and ran it through some extensive tests with Adobe Illustrator CS5, SignLab 8 and AutoCAD 2000i. Since we do monument sandblasting, we mainly do line art and a lot of text.

Overall, the various file formats interact well with each other. Oftentimes, we will manipulate / tweak images a half-dozen or more times across formats and between programs. Each program has a few extra necessary features that the others don't, and it's handy having all those options.

On a side note, I believe the interface resolution on Omega is far superior to SL, especially when it comes to working with fine outlines.

JB