• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

On 60" media, why is the laminate 61" wide?

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
I'm puzzled why I can buy print media in 60 inch wide rolls but the laminate is only available in 61" wide? Won't this cause problems coming out of the laminator and the take up sticking together?
54" media has 54" laminate......help me!
Greg

dypinc

The big questions is why can't I buy 61" - 63" vinyl?

I can buy 5' x 10' substrates but what if I want to apply vinyl that bleeds?

The only thing I can think is sometimes the mfg. suggests wrapping the edges around the substrate. I know 3M recommends this for the 1160

GraphicsSource

an inch of hang over on either side isn't going to cause you any issues but having that excess will save you in case the print decides to start creeping one way or the other

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
an inch of hang over on either side isn't going to cause you any issues but having that excess will save you in case the print decides to start creeping one way or the other

Oh bullcrap...an inch of lam WILL stick to the roller and if you're not careful, will roll itself up around the roller.
I wish they would make all laminates shy of the actual measurement. Like 54" laminate actually being 53.875" or something. I seem to always get laminate that's up to 1/4" wider than the vinyl. Always have to trim off the little edge.

GraphicsSource

Oh bullcrap...an inch of lam WILL stick to the roller and if you're not careful, will roll itself up around the roller.
I wish they would make all laminates shy of the actual measurement. Like 54" laminate actually being 53.875" or something. I seem to always get laminate that's up to 1/4" wider than the vinyl. Always have to trim off the little edge.

I've done it plenty of times with an inch or sometimes a lot more...yea you have to keep tension on the back as the print comes through but i do that anyways most times. I've never had an inch of overhang try to roll under, it may stick for a second but it will come loose before it rolls under. and really in this instance it's only .5" on either side which is great imo.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Sticking to the roller isn't the problem. It's when it sticks to the out feed table where things get screwed up. We used rolls of cheap 30lb or 40lb Kraft paper from uline.com as sacrificial material on our laminator. The 60" wide rolls worked great for 54" media, but I don't see a good solution for 61" prints on a 64" laminator.