• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

On Resolution for sublimation printing

drizom

Hi there,

Anyone knows about printing sublimation resolution? what is the best to select when printing jersey/shirt sizes?

Can print head spoil or damage fast if high resolution printing is always chosen when printing? does it happen? is there any link between printing profiles chosen and damage to the print head..

because i have to replace my print head twice in the span of 1.5 years since buying mimaki large format printer.

how do we know what resolution to use so that our graphic wont be blurry when printing..

thank you guys

WalkerP

Head life shouldn't be your concern if you're using a good ink, aren't getting head crashes/strikes, and are doing the correct PM. Print heads are going to die. That's just a fact, but you can minimize it.

That said...
The heads are all rated at X# of firings for their lifespan. Higher resolution means more DPI, so theoretically higher res means less prints per head life. I'm not sure I buy that as the lower your resolution, the faster the printer goes and that could mean harder work on the heads. I'm working on theory here, but I've never seen any correlation between resolution and head life.
Profiles and head life - Sure. If the profile is printing too light the heads are working less. If too dark, then too much. This is something you don't need to worry about. You want the profile to be correct.

Quality vs. Speed is subjective to your market. You need to determine the lowest resolution/fastest speed possible if throughput is a concern so you can get the most prints out the door. A lot of markets "good enough" is acceptable. In others it needs to be better than "good enough". You can typically get away with lower resolutions/faster printing when subbing on fabric compared to hard substrates.

drizom

Head life shouldn't be your concern if you're using a good ink, aren't getting head crashes/strikes, and are doing the correct PM. Print heads are going to die. That's just a fact, but you can minimize it.

That said...
The heads are all rated at X# of firings for their lifespan. Higher resolution means more DPI, so theoretically higher res means less prints per head life. I'm not sure I buy that as the lower your resolution, the faster the printer goes and that could mean harder work on the heads. I'm working on theory here, but I've never seen any correlation between resolution and head life.
Profiles and head life - Sure. If the profile is printing too light the heads are working less. If too dark, then too much. This is something you don't need to worry about. You want the profile to be correct.

Quality vs. Speed is subjective to your market. You need to determine the lowest resolution/fastest speed possible if throughput is a concern so you can get the most prints out the door. A lot of markets "good enough" is acceptable. In others it needs to be better than "good enough". You can typically get away with lower resolutions/faster printing when subbing on fabric compared to hard substrates.

thank you for your input here. I am just new to this.
thats a good input from your perspective up there, and yeah , i admit that too much of my printing is doing dark colours..but let me explain, i am using mimaki printer JV-160, my normal profile use is 540 X 1080Vd, speed is always 6 pass, and is there any co-relation if the passes is slower, the print head life is working harder or lesser? I am always using fast print to do my printing..does that reduce the print head life span?

inkjet frank

Resolution for dye sublimation

540x720 and 720x720 with 4 pass are the most common ones for Mimaki jv33s and jv300, jv150s, running dye sublimation Priting.

For sportswear jersey with solid colors, higher resolution such as 1440, or 1040 are over kill. You may lay down too much ink on the paper. Unless they are more staggered print heads on one printer, like Mimaki jv5. You may run it 540x1040 6 pass to avoid banding on light colors.

Higher resolution will not damage your dx5 print heads. The ink, hours of operation on the printer and condition the printer is running under will determine the life span of print heads.

What ink brand do you use??
How many hours do you run the printer every week? if it's less than 40-60 hrs per week, it's not normal to change print head twice in 1.5 years.

there are other parts may cause nozzle dropouts besides print heads. After many cleaning and nozzle washes, if you still have imperfect nozzle check, try to change wiper before changing the heads. You will be surprised in many cases, the solution is less than $10, other than $2000 on a print head.

Correct Color

The only reason ever to go up on resolution when printing on fabric -- dye sub or otherwise -- is if at a given resolution you can't get full gamut out of the printer.

In that case, the only way to get more gamut is to use more ink, and the only way to do that is to print more dots, which is what more resolution gets you. Of course it's mandatory to profile, in either situation, to get the proper ink load, but fabric is so forgiving that as far as typical resolution-induced artifacts are concerned, you'll never notice any print quality difference.