• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One BIG sign

Stormyj

Just another guy
Afternoon Gents.
I have a customer that wants a sign 8' x 24'. The existing sign is on the side of building and is a vinyl sheet over some substrate. Havnt looked yet. He wants to cover it with another sign with his logo and text on it. I only have a 54" sc540 and have never done anything that big before. Im assuming its done like a billboard, smaller pieces attached to each other, but Im not able to do it. So asking for advice. Who do I talk to and how would it be done. I know this is a pretty general question, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

DesireeM

Afternoon Gents.
I have a customer that wants a sign 8' x 24'. The existing sign is on the side of building and is a vinyl sheet over some substrate. Havnt looked yet. He wants to cover it with another sign with his logo and text on it. I only have a 54" sc540 and have never done anything that big before. Im assuming its done like a billboard, smaller pieces attached to each other, but Im not able to do it. So asking for advice. Who do I talk to and how would it be done. I know this is a pretty general question, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Is it back lit?

Stormyj

Just another guy
No backlit. The problem with the verticals is how do I attach them to each other? Never done that.
And, would you just use standard banner material?

J Hill Designs

banner? use 6) 4x8 ACM sheets with graphics on them, install over existing butted together.

edit: if you DO want to use a banner, just outsource it to a grand format printer and don't worry about seaming it...they can print pretty big

Last edited:

Dovette

Polycarb?

See if your distributor sells polycarbonate.
Some of them sell polycarb off the roll, you can get as many feet as you want cut off of them.

Stormyj

Just another guy
that would be 1 HEAVY sheet of polycarb

If I used any type of material other than vinyl banner, it would probably be ACM. That stuff is great and not too heavy. Easy to work with too.

Any more suggestions or has anyone done these before and how did you do it.

Stormyj

Just another guy
banner? use 7) 4x8 ACM sheets with graphics on them, install over existing butted together.

edit: if you DO want to use a banner, just outsource it to a grand format printer and don't worry about seaming it...they can print pretty big

No I think your math was right the first time. 8x24 7*4=28?? or are you adjusting for some kind of bleed I dont know about.:frustrated:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I only come up with six [6] sheets.

Either 6 pieces vertically, or 3 pieces horizontally stacked on two layers.

He did say 8' x 24'...... right ?? :Oops:

shoresigns

I agree with using ACP (alupanel/dibond/etc). Just put six 4x8 sheets side by side like you would do on a billboard.

If you haven't done these before, keep in mind that you will NOT usually have seams that line up perfectly when the job is done, and that's normal. Whatever you can do to make them as close as possible is good, but no one's going to notice the seam being off by 1/8" or 1/4" from the typical viewing distance of the billboard - that's just how it's done. For bilboards, wall murals etc. you can have the seams off a bit and no one will even notice there is a seam to begin with.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Anchor/mount treated 2x4's to the building face building a "frame" and supplementary mounting points for vertical panels of prints applied to polymetal.
Have the polymetal cut if necessary so that all the panels are the same size, and butt them up to each other.
Mount them to the 2x4's easily with self-tapping screws painted to match the area they are going in.
Should be pretty simple and will last many years.

Banner is not a good idea unless you can mount a stretcher frame to the building.

(kinda like the attached photo, I don't have any photos handy of exactly what I'm talking about)

Attachments

• junk-9220_1238972530088_7009254_n.jpg
    junk-9220_1238972530088_7009254_n.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 49

Mosh

Aluminum angle frame and braking, max metal faces. Not that big of a sign, I used to do 12'x48' billboards with a 24" plotter....