• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One for fun and exercise...

SignosaurusRex

Here's a hand lettered piece simply for fun, exercise and therapy ...romancing the brush again and utilizing a technique called "Mock Block" which has recently been taught to me by one of my mentors (John Downer).

"Mock Block" is the name of a sign painting technique for achieving the appearance of three shade colors by applying only two. The background color serves as a separate segment of the shade, when the construction and color assignments are well planned. - See more at: http://www.mapdays.com/list/event.asp?ID=2432195#sthash.cNU7Uqb4.dpuf

This piece is an old pine board with enamel rubbed finish and hand lettered with 1-Shot lettering enamels, finished with a coat of MAN O'WAR Satin Spar Varnish. The shadow effect ("Mock Block") is a style of shadow that is seldom seen today in any form of signage regardless of the process of creation. I hope some find inspiration in the style.

Attachments

• PICT0085.jpg
    PICT0085.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 156
  • PICT0088.jpg
    PICT0088.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 171
  • PICT0089.jpg
    PICT0089.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 149

oksigns

This is beautiful! I never knew the name of this technique, but there is a similar effect under illustrator/indesign.. this just makes you appreciate the craft so much more. Thanks for sharing

SignosaurusRex

Here is more explanation of how the "Mock Block" is created and works....

"Here is an illustration to show how the Mock Block shading effect uses the background color as the underside shade color. This is possible when the underside shade is enclosed by the letter (yellow), a side shade (fire red), and a cast shade (purple).
Color value is more important than a specific hue for the chromatic scheme to be effective. Note: any hierarchy depends on range of light and dark."

~John Downer

Note that the underside flats of the "Block Shadow" (in the above sample) are the same color value as the background and are enclosed by the Purple colored "Cast" shadow.
In the pictures of the hand lettered piece I posted, the bottom flats of the block shadow are nothing more than the wood grained finish background showing through without any added color to that portion. That portion of the block shadow is enclosed by the Black colored "cast" shadow.

Attachments

• mock-block.gif
    mock-block.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 140

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
That is one sweet sign. Makes me want to spend time fiddling with
my hands too.

Jillbeans

Sweet!
John Jordan liked that technique, and tried to show me. But your illustration is easier for me to understand. I have a scrap that is crying out to be a tattoo sign, and I will give it a shot.
Love....Jill