• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One guy....10 4x4 prints to mount....one hour to do it

Pat Whatley

UPS ran really late today. I got in 5 4'x4' prints from two different vendors (10 prints total), they showed up right at 4:00. The customer who ordered them was coming by at 5:00 on his way out of town, if they were ready he was going to pick them up, if not I'd promised him I'd deliver them to him 45 miles away tomorrow.

Pulled the BIG SQUEEGEE out from under the table, mounted all 10 prints in a little under 45 minutes with fewer than 10 little bubbles and one small wrinkle. A couple of minutes with the heat gun and an x-acto, then five minutes to trim them and they were ready to go when the guy got here.

Before we got the big squeegee we would have left a job like that for the end of the day, then wet applied each one of the prints. It would have easily taken two hours to wet apply them, then we'd have to leave them laying around until Monday to dry out so we could trim them.

With the BIG SQUEEGEE we never even consider wet application on big stuff anymore. It was well worth the money!

visualeyez

LOL, where I work I have to mount 4x8' prints dry with a standard squeege. This requires calling in a co-worker to squegee the 6 inches I can't reach, while another holds the print.

LarryB

I have a highway handyman laminator and I can mount a 4' x 8' print in a couple of minutes. No bubbles or wrinkles. This machine takes the place of a worker.

duggined

Hi, I am new here, My name is Ed and I live in the california area, since I am new I have never heard of the Big Squeegee before, it is a very cool looking tool, what would be the best size to get? My plotter is 34 in but watching the video I see them doing larger vinyl signs and just butting them up together, are the shorter ones easier to handle?

signs2trade

i have a highway handyman laminator and i can mount a 4' x 8' print in a couple of minutes. No bubbles or wrinkles. This machine takes the place of a worker.
i also have the highway handyman. It is a tool i could not do without. It should be mandatory in all sign shops.

Slamdunkpro

I'm curious, do you use the BS as a supplement to a roll laminator or do you not have one? 45 minutes to mount 10 prints by hand is really good, but this job would be much faster and consistent on a laminator. Like I said, just curious.

LarryB

Other than the fact that you still have to run it....so really, it doesn't.

It saves a lot of labor time. It took Pat 45 minutes to mount 10 prints and fix the air bubbles. Same job would take me 15 minutes max. Add this up throughout the day and it is a big timesaver.

iSign

I'm curious, do you use the BS as a supplement to a roll laminator or do you not have one? 45 minutes to mount 10 prints by hand is really good, but this job would be much faster and consistent on a laminator. Like I said, just curious.

supplement to an Arctic Titan here.

45 minutes is not just good... Those who claim there roll feed machine is faster are not being honest with themselves. Most people with a roll laminator use it for lamination... meaning you have to remove the lam to use it for mounting & then re-web the laminator to use it for lamination... besides that, most of Pat's time would be aligning the print with the substrate, and trimming.. stuff you would do in both scenarios... so the only task you end up comparing is the pushing of the squeegee 10 times... I don't know about you guys, but I never run my laminator at top speed...

There is no way anyone is beating 45 minutes if they include stripping & re-webbing...

Larry B... welcome to S101.. ya can't bulls#!t these professionals... talk is cheap... shoot a video because we already know you will come up short on your claims...