Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One inch foamboard?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Caitlin, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Caitlin

Caitlin Member

Jan 4, 2013
    I've been tasked with designing two panels 30" wide x 72" high to fit a frame which screws into the substrate from the bottom only and they are to replace panels which are on a 1" thick foamboard type product, so I am told. (The client is not interested in spending the money for something new.)

I don't usually work with this product so I'm flying a little blind - does it come in 1" thick? I can't seem to locate it, only 1/2".

My thought was using sintra and reinforcing the bottom to an inch so it would fit but I don't know how it would hold up at 72" high.

I will be seeing the frames later this week but figured I would put out some feelers to see if this is something that might work or if someone somewhere along the line is just confused (could be me.)

Thanks! :rock-n-roll:

Tags:
  2. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Ultraboard is sold in 1 inch thick panels as well.

3. Caitlin

Caitlin Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Whoo, it exists :thumb:

Thanks for the help :rolleyes:

4. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
  5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I would use Gatorfoam

6. Caitlin

Caitlin Member

Jan 4, 2013
    I was looking into gatorfoam too, found a :Canada: supplier to save on freight. Thanks for the advice everyone

7. iprint

iprint Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Arizona
    I would not unless you are putting graphics on both sides. Mounting to one side of Gator will cause the panel to warp if the bare side is exposed to a change in humidity. I prefer Ultraboard for this reason (and a few others). The styrene face of Ultraboard is not going to be affected by humidity as the wood/paper veneer face of Gatorboard would.