• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One Shot won't dry

deegrafix

I've never had this happen! If the paint is still tacky after 14 hours should I give up and clean it off??? What a nightmare. I painted 2 old metal snap- in sign frames for a quickie free job and now this..... Arghhhh!

omgsideburns

This paint store I go to has a bunch of old one shot cans sitting on the shelf that no one wants. I wonder if it's the old leaded or whatever stuff you guys always reminisce about.. I should buy it up and pawn it off on you guys.

Steve C.

You either did not stir the paint, had oil in your brush or the frame may have
had a layer of oil on it. I can't think of any thing else. Did you thin it with
anything?

deegrafix

It was old, (but not leaded old....) Thinned with mineral spirits, frames sanded and wiped with 99% alcohol and painted black, one coat, with a clean #8 luco quill. Shoulda worked. :(

The one shot had been opened long ago, had the usual skin on top and seemed like any other can of One Shot.

Steve C.

Just don't know.. I'd give it another 24 hrs. If still tacky, wipe clean and spray
gloss Krylon black. Test a small area before painting the entire frame.

Pat Whatley

I'm sure I'll catch hell for saying this but I've had that happen and just shook the heck out to the paint can and repainted over the top of the non-drying coat. Both coats dried fine and no, the top coat did not peel off the bottom coat later.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is this lettered on..... or brushed in as a background color ??

Like Steve said, sounds like something was contaminated along the way, whether by you, bad prepping or not stirred enough.

I have 1-shot that is over 12 & 15 years old and it's been opened...... and still works fine.

If you haven't contaminated anything, I would then think the can was not properly sealed and although a minute amount of air got in.... the drying agents have been use up and there's nothing left to complete the drying state, therefore it might not ever cure.

I'd let it go another day or two and if it remains sticky.... I'd wipe it off and use a different can.

OldPaint

i had this happen with black 1 shot on some banners i did years ago. get a hair dryer(not as hot as a heat gun)and see if that will help it. in florida, sometimes the high humidity wont let paint dry properly.

deegrafix

Just got back from an install, and it's still the same. Not wet, but tacky, sorta like gold size an hour before it's ready for leaf. Hmmmm..... Maybe I could get a couple packs of variegated leaf? Wonder what that costs these days?

weaselboogie

Ive heard of this. I've never tried it , but I remember reading someplace about mixing a bit of hardener with it for background.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I just talked to another pinstriper today who told me on his last job he used two new cans of 1Shot and two days later it was still tacky. Day two is today. I've done three striping jobs in past week and a half with new paint and mine dried within two hours. Must be a random problem with the mixture... hope we don't end up with an Avery-esque fiasco on our hands since I am getting lots of striping jobs now. Profitability would be more than cut in half if I had to clean a job off and try a new can of color. I'm getting worried.

mike ham

99.9% was just me being lazy not mixing the paint! take the same paint mix the hell out of it new brush see what happens. never ever had a problem with one shot in 35 years problems were always on my end oily brush etc.

knucklehead

My experience with the "new" one shot is, it has to be reduced with one shot reducer. Don't know how the made it so in-compatable with regular mineral spirits anymore, but they did.

My recommendation is to find a Ronan dealer. Ronan is the old One Shot guys.

Jillbeans

Welcome to the new 1-Shot.
I stopped using it about 2 years ago, and am only using up my old stock. I buy Ronan now.
Anyway, this happened to me, both with Bright Red and Black.
I was told to mist the sign lightly with peroxide and leave a fan running.
Just make sure you have no dust in your workshop.
Love....Jill

k.a.s.

As has been said, One Shot sucks. It will dry, just takes FOREVER!

Stop using 1 Shot, switch to Ronan.

Kevin

BBworks

We used to use paint here alot until alupanel came along and replaced most of our marine plywood signs. One shot needs a nice clean surface. Experience shows me that cleaning metal with methyl hydrate before painting works well. If we have a can open for longer than 6 months we throw it out, it seems to go bad quickly after it has been opened.